Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Class project on amtrak

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lightning

Lightning

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Programming Language:Others
  • Learning:C++, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi!

So for one of my classes, we're working on making convenience or improving aspects of the Amtrak website. (http://www.amtrak.com/home) What my group is doing is basically wanting to make a program/query that will display prices for the day you indicate you wish to depart, including the day before and after. This is so that they have the ability to see the three prices.

We are allowed to use any type of languages and tools. If need be, we can change the project entirely. I need suggestions in what to do, what programming language should I attempt to do this in or should I change the project completely?

*EDIT*
Seeing that the terms of service prohibit what the entire class has been told to do, I will be bringing up the terms of service issue with him tomorrow (monday 22nd). Glad I caught this before any coding was started.

If I were to do this on another website in similar instances but also allows us to do such, what would you recommend?

#2 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well, you're going to have to parse the HTML to get the information out, correct? In that case I'd recommend Python. It has HTML-parsing libraries.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#3 Lightning

Lightning

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well, you're going to have to parse the HTML to get the information out, correct? In that case I'd recommend Python. It has HTML-parsing libraries.

I see, I'll start learning python right now. I was also thinking it could of been done with visual basic and it's web browser feature. Such as have three web browser in rows, above that is the fields you type in the information to fill out the form, it then fires off the forms three times, one per web browsers, and thus pulls up the info.

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

That sounds easier, actually.

#5 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

it can be used with more or less any language, even if the web scripting languages is to be preferred, php, python, perl etc...

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yes, but which would be easiest is the question.

#7 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

The easiest is the one you know best that's applicable to the problem. Learning a new language to solve one problem is almost always not the easiest way.

#8 Lightning

Lightning

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

For the moment, I've been trying to code it in vb.net but it seems to just be impossible with how amtrak has their website set up. I'm thinking about changing the project but really don't know what to change it to. This class has me so stressed out I don't know what to do. -_-

#9 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

What other options do you have?

#10 Lightning

Lightning

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

What other options do you have?

Skill set wise, very limited. vb and vb.net are probably my best routes at this point. Still working at this program and might be posting for some format and compatibility error help in the vb.net section here in a bit.

#11 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Alright, let us know how it goes.

#12 Lightning

Lightning

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm wondering if it'd be easier to have vb draw from a local database. Only problem is I don't know how to go about doing that. Looking up tutorials and guides at the moment. The ones I've found so far only about how to enter things into the database and not like the situation I have. Where I want a form to draw information from it based upon what is placed into the form.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download