Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Tips and Advice

tips advice programming new study c++ python basics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Programming Language:Python
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Ive been studying programming for quite some time now , being self-taught through resources and books . Ive been studying off and on in codeacademy , a python programming book and another book for C++ . As well as a little Javascript. But I would like to know if there is any tips or advice anyone could give me for learning programming , keeping in mind im basically still a newbie to this . Ive got to know basic stuff like strings , characters , true and false values , variables , if and then statements . The pretty easy fundamental stuff for programming . Any suggestions to help me become a better programmer , or learn faster .

#2 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Pick an interesting project and learn while developing it. Always works with me. :)

#3 VNFox

VNFox

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:Assembly

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Analyze the problem before start coding

www.pickmike.com
I don't just develop software. I find solutions to your business needs.

#4 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

Choose a project you know you can do, and get to work. It will turn out there's something in it you don't yet understand, and you'll have to learn it to finish the project.

Sticking with one language until you have the hang of it may help you more than jumping around between different ones as well :)

fss_overall.png

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

In coding, experience is something that makes the programmer, the more you do the more you learn and the more you know.
I think you need to get yourself a small project, something you would like to do, and then start the coding cycle, investigating the solution-investigating the how to code it-try and error-done. that is how you make your first steps, putting your fingers to work is essential cause it gives you confidence, once you have learned to avoid the common mistakes by experience you will be able to endeavor into bigger projects, coding is a lot about general knowledge, i mean, web, core, coding, protocols, design, etc, you need to start owning the basics of all of them by messing up some code of your own ;)

#6 BKTheRussian

BKTheRussian

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Learning:C, C++, Assembly

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

What's working for me (and take it with a grain of salt, since I'm a newbie myself) is this: When I was starting out with python, whenever I would come across something I didn't understand, I would research it and try to understand it. If after that I still didn't understand it, I moved on. After working with something more complex that also utilized what I didn't understand earlier, it somehow allowed me to view the bigger picture and understand things better.

Some have a view that you should understand things you've come across before you proceed; however, I like to continue moving, because the things I don't understand now, will look incredibly easy and basic once I see how they work with everything else.

#7 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions , I will definitely begin to start a small project and learn while doing so .

#8 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Lisp, Scheme

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

I suggest you pick up a good book on object oriented programming (OOP), as that's a really important area these days. Also, it's great to practice algorithmic problems. Just look up your national computer science competitions, and start doing one problem a day. You can switch languages too. You should also look into the basic algorithms that people use to get things done, along with some patterns that you will see used in projects.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tips, advice, programming, new, study, c++, python, basics

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download