Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Important Programming languages

import

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#25 opwuaioc

opwuaioc

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C#, Python, Assembly

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Friends and relatives in the field have informed me very recently that Java is out, and C# is the new golden ticket. While I myself started with C and C++ and have in the past advocated starting there, these days I recommend C#. For the enthusiast, though, there's no better way than C.
οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν. - Iliad 6.146

#26 SoulFireMage

SoulFireMage

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, (Visual) Basic
  • Learning:C#, Python, Ruby, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Haskell

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I like the tools for a job notion.

C is the standard if your onto hardware drivers, arduino, board programming etc though you'll hate it, most likely, for more general application work. I've deliberately stayed away from it, for no other reason, than I simply don't need it-BUT it would be fair to say, I'm not an enthusiast, just someone who has discovered later in life a need to code.

One should grasp simple data structures, like lists, arrays, linked lists, hash tables and be able to use them comfortably in your chosen languages. Object orientated and functional approaches are very much combinable in c# and vb, so knowing how these work is fundemental.

How far should you go with theory is always thorny. You can do a lot before ever reading an algorithm, so being hung up on understanding theory isn't useful. Rather, organically add to your knowledge as you apply it.

I don't know what red black trees are or exactly what a balanced tree is, I just about get big O notation and why I need to care. At this point, I started learning sporadically in 2010, from scratch. Work wasn't coding, in fact only very recently am I to code at work. Last night I finished a code generator that provides classes for every table in a database, with primary key, to string and rename field options. Yet, I know only a bit of theory and two languages, one fairly well.

My point being, there's always masses more to learn, but be aware of how much you can do with a little.

This may sound odd to some, but once you've got say six months coding experience, read code complete 2 and refactoring (by Fowler). Get into refactoring enough to being tidying up your beginner code.

From there it's a natural progression to examine some simple design patterns, like factory, facade, singleton. Don't rush to learn these at, just get an awareness of why they exist, and for each one, where might they help provide hints for solutions. Often they are overkill, but can guide your deliberations.

Web languages are a little foreign to me, not HTML and CSS, those aren't overly hard, I mean the others. However, I suspect my skills would be greatly enhanced if I learned php or ruby, Javascript etc.

Finally, in all this, learn the basics of SQL unless you are dead certain you'll never look inside a database. Joe Celko's book, thinking in sets is good as is THe Art of SQL. SQL Antipatterns is useful too.

Oh if everyone is learning a language, there are more jobs for it...at lower wages.

Tackle a rare but useful language in the side at least. Lua, python, lisp are less common but if you are good in them, and adaptable, i bet you can get more money for your work.

#27 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone learn machine code these days... or rather, is it needed? Or just a few grey bearded guys stuffed in a cave somewhere in the center of the Earth?

We live in the same cave. My first assembler was a pad of paper and a pencil. (But the beard is limited to my chin.)

To the OP:
The language is dictated by the use it's put to. Choosing a language to learn without knowing what kind of programming you're going to do is like choosing between a saw and a voltmeter before you know if you're going to be a carpenter or an electrician.

Learn programming first (algorithms, data structures, etc.). Then decide whether you want to write web apps or desktop apps. Then narrow it down further. Then you'll know which language(s) to learn.

#28 Jamesx

Jamesx

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Learning:C#, Others

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

I had this problem of picking a language I always wanted one that was "important" but I found out that no matter which one you chose it all comes down to the syntax, Once you know one you can just learn others and get you're a job in which ever one.

Myself I chose php cause It's cool ;)

#29 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

jaminibaba, what does that have to do with the topic?

#30 SaharAli

SaharAli

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

]You are forced to take a class for electrical engineering, but I know a few people who enjoyed it. 

1460319167.jpg

#31 hantt163

hantt163

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

woa! Assembly language will be an amazing journey

#32 ZaraWatsonn

ZaraWatsonn

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#
  • Learning:C, Java, C#

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:53 AM

The same problem i am fiacing right now. When i start reading any particular langauage, the job comes for another profile. I am so confuse with which language should i go?

#33 ariannabates

ariannabates

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Ruby
  • Learning:PHP, Perl, Ruby

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:32 AM

The programming language is a language for programmers to develop a software program, scripts, and sets of instructions. The numerous of programming languages are available for C, C++, HTML, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Ruby, QBasic, Python and much more. Every programming language plays a big role for different tasks, its depend on your work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: import