Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Important Programming languages

import

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Amaterasu

Amaterasu

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Ruby, Assembly, Others

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hey Guys. I wish to ensue programming as a career. I do not know which branch such as game design or software engineering I want to go into, but what languages are important for all prgrammers to know. I am a Sophomore in highschool so I have some time to learn. I am also posting this because I know of other people who are in the same boat. Thanks You guys.

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I don't think there's any language that's more important than others to learn - pick what you want to be able to do, then the language to suit.

Many people start with a C variant or Java, but it's not essential to do. If you're more interested in web programming, PHP might be a better bet. If you just want to learn general programming techniques, it doesn't matter much what you pick, because many of the skills will transfer to other languages.

fss_overall.png

#3 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Assembly

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Dude, we are like the same person. The only things different are the Avatar, your "Languages learning", and some other more personal stuff.

If you want to do application programming (which encompasses game design and software), two languages I would recommend are C++ and Java. Last time I checked, I saw that jobs involving knowledge of Java were high in number. C++ is good because there are a lot of languages based off of it (C actually), and learning any C based language will help you learn any other C based language. If you go for game development, I would lean a bit more towards Java. If you do software, I would lean a bit more towards C++. Really, the language depends on what you are going to be using it for. C++ is fast, but Java has better security and is more portable. Also, if you plan on implementing your games into websites, I recommend Java, as I have yet to see a C++ in my browser.

Oh, nice Naruto reference ;)
~Chall
Speaks fluent Java

#4 VNFox

VNFox

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:Assembly

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Personally, programming languages are not important ... the main thing is how to analysis the problem and find solutions toward it. The main important programming language is the language that brings you money :) money money ... each programming language has its own specialty

www.pickmike.com
I don't just develop software. I find solutions to your business needs.

#5 WaterNode

WaterNode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Python
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, Lua, Assembly, Others

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

It depends on your specialty, as already said. If we had a specific specialty example, we might be able to help you a little more.

Have a good day,
WaterNode

#6 BKTheRussian

BKTheRussian

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Programming Language:Python
  • Learning:C, C++, Assembly

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Does anyone learn machine code these days... or rather, is it needed? Or just a few grey bearded guys stuffed in a cave somewhere in the center of the Earth?

#7 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Does anyone learn machine code these days... or rather, is it needed? Or just a few grey bearded guys stuffed in a cave somewhere in the center of the Earth?

In the modern world, learning byte-code would be like gaining enlightenment, in a less drastic fashion. There is no practical use for it in most jobs, and it certainly is less effective for standard use than a programming language. Why would you write the code, byte for byte, when you could have a programming language do it for you, in a sensible way that makes sense to others and is easy to modify. If you did know byte-code, I'm sure any job you did get might be quite profitable. :)
Speaks fluent Java

#8 BKTheRussian

BKTheRussian

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Programming Language:Python
  • Learning:C, C++, Assembly

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

lol, I don't think I'm smart or patient enough.

#9 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

lol, I don't think I'm smart or patient enough.

Hehehe, I don't think any sane person is. ;)
Speaks fluent Java

#10 WaterNode

WaterNode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I know a few electrical engineers that are.

#11 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, but is giving up your hypothetical life really worth it? The amount of time and energy you would invest into learning byte-code would be extreme. Unless you were certain you would benefit from it, there is 90% no reason to learn it. Back on track, lets stop talking about byte-code. This thread is about what languages would be good for Amaterasu, not whether or not it is practical to learn byte-code. :)
Speaks fluent Java

#12 WaterNode

WaterNode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, but is giving up your hypothetical life really worth it? The amount of time and energy you would invest into learning byte-code would be extreme. Unless you were certain you would benefit from it, there is 90% no reason to learn it. Back on track, lets stop talking about byte-code. This thread is about what languages would be good for Amaterasu, not whether or not it is practical to learn byte-code. :)

You are forced to take a class for electrical engineering, but I know a few people who enjoyed it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: import