Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Nov
    duzamucha

Hi, I am final year Interior Design Student from University of Huddersfield. I am currently working on my final major project which is going to be linked to coding. I was hoping that you could help me with my research. I have prepared a short survey, it would be a massive help if you could fill it in for me. It takes less than 2 minutes to complete, I promise. Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/73XLJKK Thank you so much in advance!

View All Updates

Developed by TechBiz Xccelerator
Photo
- - - - -

How to post a tutorial?

tutorial contributor guidelines

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Codecall Tutorial Submission Guidelines

We value the tutorials our contributing members provide, and so do our users. In order to maintain a high quality throughout the site, there are some guidelines we request all contributing members follow:

• Write your articles properly - include an introduction and a conclusion, as well as the main content.
  • Format your articles appropriately, using code tags where source code is included. See below for a guide on how to do this.
  • Check your work for spelling or grammar errors.
  • Don't copy text from other sources - we check new tutorials against Copyscape to ensure they're original work. This includes the code you present with the tutorial; it needs to be your own.

Additionally, we prefer articles that meet a few extra criteria:

• Include at least two relevant images, watermarked to Codecall.net. good sources for images are screenshots of how the code should look, or of the output when the code is compiled and / or run.
  • Avoid using external links unless absolutely necessary. Your tutorial should present a complete explanation of the topic without reference to other websites. In some cases, such as a tutorial on installing PHP, links out to the PHP website would be acceptable.
  • Include links to other pages within Codecall where relevant. This ensures that should another site steal the article, they will end up linking back to us. At the very least, you can include a link back to the discussion board for the language your tutorial covers, eg PHP.
  • Cite sources where used.

After your article is submitted, you should be able to follow up user responses for at least a week, answering questions and updating code blocks if needed. If you plan on writing more tutorials we suggest asking users what topics they'd like you to cover.

How To Submit A Tutorial to Codecall

Submitting your tutorial is easy! Hopefully, you've already written it, but if you prefer to use the forum's text editor to type up your tutorials, you can do that too.

• Start by finding the correct tutorial forum for your tutorial.
  • Start a new topic by pressing the black button at the top.
  • Type your tutorial and format it nicely.
  • Pick a clear title and relevant tags.
  • Save your post, and wait for a moderator to approve it.

cc_tutorial_guidelines3.png

• Good titles: "How to use PHP to create a login system", "Creating a login system with PHP and MySQL", etc.
  • Bad titles:"logins", "how 2 make a login", "maeking logins w/ PHP", etc.

Writing an Effective Tutorial

If you're new to writing tutorials, here are some tips to help you write an effective, helpful article.

• Explain the topic as if you were talking to someone who's never heard of it before. For beginner tutorials, this will often be the case anyway. You can link to other Codecall tutorials if you feel it may help, but never assume the user has the same expertise as you. They wouldn't need your tutorial if that were the case.
  • Avoid jargon, technical terms, and long winded explanations unless you're writing an extremely high level tutorial. The reader likely doesn't know them all.
  • Do not bury the user in information. Only present what they need to complete your particular task. If multiple ways to approach the same topic exist, pick either the "best" or the "easiest" and teach it thoroughly, rather than trying to cover every possible approach
  • Spellcheck your article. Ideally, check it over for grammar and readability as well, perhaps by reading it out loud or asking a friend to read it. If English is not your first language, we may be able to arrange for Community Manager BenW to edit your work, but this will involve a longer turnaround time.
  • Avoid using different font faces, colors, etc, and never post a sentence entirely in capital letters. These just make it harder to read.
  • Use subheadings and bullet points where possible, to break up the content and allow readers to scan your guide quickly.

How To Present Code

You should never post code as plain text. It is hard to read and certain letter combinations trigger BBC effects or smilies. Instead, wrap your code in code tags.

cc_tutorial_guidelines4.png

Edited by Roger, 08 March 2013 - 03:01 PM.

fss_overall.png

#2 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Perl, Bash
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Alrighty, maybe i'll write my first tutorial in my free time soon :)

#3 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

That's a great idea :)

fss_overall.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tutorial, contributor, guidelines