Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Difference between HTML and HTML5?

html5

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 preetisoft2

preetisoft2

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

What is the difference between HTML and HTML 5??

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, the now used HTML is HTML 4, so the things that HTML5 provides that HTML 4 don't is mostly functions to interact with the webpage in a better way. it has a Canvas tag which is a drawing board which can be controlled by user with javascript, it has Audio and Video tags to embed media alot more easy than before. It also provides a lot more things that you needed to create more Javascripts to do before, as many new input types to do input control like email etc. HTML 5 makes a cleaner and simpler code in the bitter end because of this, as so much things that so many did by javascript implements into the ned HTML5 instead.

W3Schools has a good overview of HTML5 here: http://www.w3schools...html5_intro.asp

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

html5 is the next evolution of html (now html4 or xhtml).
Like orjan said, there a lots of new thing, just think of the input tag, now you will have type number, type progressBar, and even type calendar, or event form validation in html! (no javascript needed)

When you talk about html5, most of the type you don't just talk about html5, you talk about javascript and css3.
With the new element in javascript you can build "thread" like function, more advance ajax...
And with the new element of css3, you can animate, have drop shadow, and a lots of new thing.

Sadly, html5 isn't complete yet, some modification will come to it, and because it's always changing not all browser can support all property of the html5.
So if you are using the new property, you will need to test it in every browser

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

As Orjan and Vailab pointed, the difference lies on scope, html5 is bigger and better, not just in tag quality and added features but it also grew up with the javascript expansion, in addition to foretold new features, now you can reach local storage and certain devices, particularly mobile like the camera by example.

#5 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, HTML5 is more adapted to let Javascript and CSS3 do their thing with the elements. There is a bigger thinking that CSS and JS isn't anything added on any longer, as it have been, but more of built to be a combined part of the finished product.

I read that HTML5 seems to be a final standard in 2016 now, instead of the before planned 2023...

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#6 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

2023 is when ie will accept (partially) html5 :P

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

This infographic might help explain what's new in HTML5 :)

fss_overall.png

#8 preetisoft2

preetisoft2

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thank you all for helping me. :)

#9 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

But how many decades will we have to wait after that before IE actually works like other browsers?

#10 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

But how many decades will we have to wait after that before IE actually works like other browsers?

Microsoft is starting to show respect for standards compliance. As a general rule, defining a specification comes before creating software that implements that specification correctly.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#11 jaelyngray

jaelyngray

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Programming Language:C
  • Learning:C, JavaScript

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

HTML 5 is updated version of HTML. You can learn in detail with the help of w3 school. I found this website is very useful. Hopefully, this will be useful for you.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download