Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Get a shoutbox or something of the sort?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#13 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

I run a large shoutbox service, and although I'll never complain about people putting our shoutboxes on a forum, it's been clear for a while that it doesn't help the forum much. People tend to use the shoutbox rather than the forums, and the level of posting on the boards drops exponentially - as less people post, there's less to reply to, so even less people end up posting.

fss_overall.png

#14 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Assembly

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

I run a large shoutbox service, and although I'll never complain about people putting our shoutboxes on a forum, it's been clear for a while that it doesn't help the forum much. People tend to use the shoutbox rather than the forums, and the level of posting on the boards drops exponentially - as less people post, there's less to reply to, so even less people end up posting.

Ah, yeah. I knew that there would be a drop in the number of posts on forums, as people migrated to chatbox instead, but I never suspected it to be too great. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to implement and observe the effect of a chatbox on a community forums, as every one I worked for already had one. I do know, though, that It would be something fun, even if it was just for lounging. I am not saying add it, though, I am just saying that I, personally, think it would be fun. :)
Speaks fluent Java

#15 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

They're definitely fun (and spam is simple to control with modern shoutboxes), but best used for a website rather than a discussion board in my opinion :)

fss_overall.png

#16 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Assembly

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

They're definitely fun (and spam is simple to control with modern shoutboxes), but best used for a website rather than a discussion board in my opinion :)

Yeah, I see your point, and it is a good one too. Still, thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this. :)
Speaks fluent Java

#17 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Lisp, Scheme

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

I suggest an IRC channel on Freenode.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download