Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Get a shoutbox or something of the sort?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Assembly

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have noticed that Codecall does not have a shoutbox (Chatbox), or other means of general live communication.
There are a few reasons to add a shoutbox:
  • Members could socialize more easily, in a public environment
  • Members with small urgent questions could ask for help on shoutbox
  • It is easier to communicate with others in general than having to make a thread, and keep reloading
  • It will make site more inviting, as it encourages socialization and communication with others. It also helps strengthen relations with other members.
I have seen many popular sites that use shoutboxes, and I just thought it would be pretty cool to have one here too.
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
-Chall
Speaks fluent Java

#2 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

I know the admin had the idea not too long ago, but decided (at least for now) to not implement it.

In a forum like this one, I don't think having a live chat is a good idea.
Lots of people will ask questions, so you will have 5-6 questions, someone will answer to question #2, than someone else will answer to #4.
A third person will reply to an answer, and than no one will have no idea who's talking to who, and no one will have any answer.

Plus, with a chat like this, you can't really read back an old question.
When I have a question, I always take a look in old thread to see if someone didn't already posted it and had the answer.
So with a chat like this, the same question will always come out.

I know this is a great tool for quick easy and urgent questions... but everyone think their questions is always urgent and more important, so the forum will be empty and everything will go throw the chat.

Well, at least, this was my 2 cents ;)
Maybe in the futur codecall will have a chat, only god (or the admin) know :)

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#3 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I know the admin had the idea not too long ago, but decided (at least for now) to not implement it.

In a forum like this one, I don't think having a live chat is a good idea.
Lots of people will ask questions, so you will have 5-6 questions, someone will answer to question #2, than someone else will answer to #4.
A third person will reply to an answer, and than no one will have no idea who's talking to who, and no one will have any answer.

Plus, with a chat like this, you can't really read back an old question.
When I have a question, I always take a look in old thread to see if someone didn't already posted it and had the answer.
So with a chat like this, the same question will always come out.

I know this is a great tool for quick easy and urgent questions... but everyone think their questions is always urgent and more important, so the forum will be empty and everything will go throw the chat.

Well, at least, this was my 2 cents ;)
Maybe in the futur codecall will have a chat, only god (or the admin) know :)

Yes, I do understand that people would have "urgent" questions, but if I, personally, were to add a shoutbox, it would be more toward social relations rather than a live Q/A session that never ends.
Speaks fluent Java

#4 papabear

papabear

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Here are the reasons why Chatbox is not good for forums

- Chatbox kills Forum activity - most of the user will start asking in chatbox instead of creating a new thread for it..

- Chatbox is good for spammers- Spammers loves chatboxes :D everyone knows that..

Why put a chatbox while we can message a member, add them into our friend list or post a new thread or by replying to posts? That's socializing :D
Life has no CTRL+Z
Never Forget To HIT "LIKE" If I Helped

#5 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

- Chatbox kills Forum activity - most of the user will start asking in chatbox instead of creating a new thread for it..

Only legitimately urgent questions could be posed, and the stuff that isn't really worth making a topic about. You could also discourage users from asking questions by adding a message above it, like the ones above threads that do not allow programming questions.

- Chatbox is good for spammers- Spammers loves chatboxes :D everyone knows that..

This is a community of developers. I'm sure at least one person could come up with an anti-spam script. It wouldn't even be that hard. And, even if spamming did occur, would you rather have it in a shoutbox, or on a full blown topic? You could also set account age/post count restrictions, so that only people who have been here a while can use it.

Why put a chatbox while we can message a member, add them into our friend list or post a new thread or by replying to posts? That's socializing :D

Even if you add them as friends, or reply to topics, it still can take upwards of 10 minutes, maybe even a day, to get a reply back. And in shoutbox you could also have "channels", or something so that group or private conversations can be held without interruption. That, my friend, is even better socialization. :)
Speaks fluent Java

#6 papabear

papabear

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

The admin had implemented a chatbox before :)
even if you put a message or rules, there would be someone who will break it.. even if you put an anti-spam, there will be a way to advertise your links for example if you make the URL filtering,, they can just change to dots to (.) or a comma,
if you create a 1 min waiting time before someone can reply, that would be boring for a chatbox...

Private messages or reply into posts.. depends if the one you are messaging is busy or doing something :D
it's the same as the chatbox.. if he/she is busy it will take time before he/she will reply,
Life has no CTRL+Z

#7 Chall

Chall

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

The admin had implemented a chatbox before :)
even if you put a message or rules, there would be someone who will break it.. even if you put an anti-spam, there will be a way to advertise your links for example if you make the URL filtering,, they can just change to dots to (.) or a comma,
if you create a 1 min waiting time before someone can reply, that would be boring for a chatbox...

Private messages or reply into posts.. depends if the one you are messaging is busy or doing something :D
it's the same as the chatbox.. if he/she is busy it will take time before he/she will reply,

Well, it isn't my say to determine whether or not adding a shoutbox is the correct course of action. I have just displayed an idea to be considered. Thank you for giving your opinion. :D
Speaks fluent Java

#8 papabear

papabear

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

ideas and suggestions are good to help the forum :) I do understand that you just want to bring more fun into our beloved community.. I once suggested a chatbox also :-P
Life has no CTRL+Z

#9 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

Let's see ...
  • Members could socialize more easily, in a public environment
  • Members with small urgent questions could ask for help on shoutbox
  • It is easier to communicate with others in general than having to make a thread, and keep reloading
  • It will make site more inviting, as it encourages socialization and communication with others. It also helps strengthen relations with other members.

1. I agree

2. I am not sure, and i think it will turn out to bore well spirited helpers since when you put one thing for priority calls, everybody will use that and not the forum, messages would be directed majorly to site's favorite members which will get really bored or mad of having dozens of helping chats opening all the time

3. well, in theory you shouldn't need to keep reloading, i mean there is answer notice by email ... i think that feature is automatically on, but when you have a post you follow, you get the notice when any answer is posted

4. I am in favor of socialization, still i am not sure a shoutbox is the way, there is many ways to communicate nowadays, by exchanging a couple emails (codecall has it) with a fellow coder is enough to stablish some sort of frienship and then ask for some popular contact point as skype, msn, facebook, etc

said that, i think socialization is up to debate isn't it ? good topic chall !

maybe CC could organize some meeting, but i think codecallers are too much dispersed around the world, aren't we ?

#10 Galhetas

Galhetas

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

yes please put a shout box its very nice

#11 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Shoutboxes are an attractive and popular feature, but they are simply more trouble than they're worth. On top of that, the "problem" they address isn't even really a valid one.
  • They are spammer magnets. Reading messages in a shoutbox would be neat, but do you really want to see advertisements for loan consolidation, alternative medicine, and male performance enhancers every 3 minutes? There's simply not the manpower to police this kind of thing.
  • They kill forum traffic. It's happened before. People use the shoutbox instead of the forum to ask their questions. This may not seem like much of a problem to some, but consider what we are doing: building a searchable repository of information through community interaction. The forum leaves a permanent record of the problem/solution, organized into nice neat little categories. There is no permanent record for a shoutbox, and if there were, no one wants to wade through a ton of chat logs because it's unorganized and full of irrelevant information. We aren't helping only the person with the question. We're helping any future person with that same question. We need the searchable archival properties of a forum.
  • The concern for urgent questions isn't even substantiated. For a shoutbox to work, people must be perpetually online all the time, and continually watching the chat scroll in real time. This just isn't feasible. A lot of the regular posters here have jobs, and can only check the site in their free time. Not to mention, we have members all over the globe. Real-time doesn't really work when you've got people posting questions while others are sleeping. Besides, we already have email notifications if you must be notified immediately upon a reply being posted. Using the forums for urgent questions will not add any significant amount to the wait time before the OP gets his/her answer, because he/she must still wait for someone to come along and check for new questions.
  • It's bad for community: Once a topic has hit the shoutbox and scrolled past the top, it's gone. There may potentially be many others with good advice or opinions who would have wanted to contribute, but that will be impossible with a shoutbox, because they will have never seen the topic as it happened in real-time. We need the time-delayed responses of the forums to allow everybody to contribute and get the best possible answer for the OP. Using a shoutbox will simply exclude people from the discussion who didn't happen to be online at that time.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#12 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Also it's important to realize that people don't go to a forum because it has a great chatbox community, they go to a forum because it has great forum content. The forum content is what gets indexed by search engines, not the chatbox content. So, since part of our goal is to grow membership, that means we have to protect our search ranking. There's an important question about whether a chatbox would help or harm that.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download