Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Derek needs help! penny for your thoughts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Opcode

Opcode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Learning:C, C++, (Visual) Basic, Python

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

So i'm going to do my best to keep this short and sweet and i'm sure you guys get this ALOT so i'm gunna try and get straight to the point. Im new at all this and i've done quite alot of backround reading on programming and i am the type of person who can stick at something and keep pushing at something until I learn no matter how intimidating or hard it seems, basically i'm not a quiter and dont give up easy. I'm starting college soon and not sure what courses to pick in regards to this type of field. I have dabbled with a little PHP and some basic java stuff in eclipse now what i'm looking to do with programming i'm not entirely sure yet as it there is not 1 main goal I want to achieve because it seems with this type of thing the possibilities are almost endless and there is ALWAYS something to be learned. The idea of creating my own applications, programs ,tools and games appeals to me very much and I know I cannot learn it all at once. When it comes to this type of work i think to myself "jack of all trades master of none" and "Rome was not built in a day" so my questions are the following:

1. Would it be wiser to pickup 1 programming language first and stick to it and hammer at it for weeks and weeks rather than muddying the waters with multiple at once?
2. Since I want to do lots of things with programming which language do you guys suggest I start with and whats the best way to do so?
3. As i mentioned above I plan on picking my college courses around computers and programming so i geuss what languges are the best to get me started and set me up to learn multiple?

4. Any tips tutorials suggestions advice whatever you wanna call it I welcome with open arms so send me anything as i am DYING to learn this stuff.

Thanks for your time and input

A young guy named Derek

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'll answer your questions in order, although this is just my opinion :)

1. I recommend learning one language to start with. Programming concepts carry over between many languages, so once you're proficient with one, others are easy to pick up.
2. Start by picking your goals, and then you can decide how to achieve them.
3. There's no 'best' language. It depends what you want to do, eg if you want to make iPhone apps, don't learn Flash.
4. Once you've decided on a language, we have plenty of tutorials here at Codecall, plus language specific forums you can get help in :)

fss_overall.png

#3 Opcode

Opcode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Alright thank you very much for your time and thoughts Ben I really appreciate any help I can get.
Say I wanted to start with java, my main questions are what options does this give me? like what kind of things can you do with java? what is it the most useful for? Like i said above i have messed around with java in notepad++ and eclipse and figured out how to compile basic programs through command prompt the harder way rather than having a program auto compile it for you but I geuss i have no goal with java because i'm unclear as to what its capable of or what its mainly used for. I "heard" it was for game development so I geuss thats what sparked my interest in it to begin with.

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

1. For starters yes, i suggest you command one lang first and then extend your grip

2. If you dabbled some java get your engine on and keep it going, java offers web, android, desktop, etc, you can go through a lot of the programing universe mastering that lang

3. instead of many langs maybe is better for you to in parallel study databases, and some about werbservers and webservices

4. Take a look at codecall's tutorial section, go to java, have fun :D, the tic-tac-toe tut there is very popular

#5 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Alright thank you very much for your time and thoughts Ben I really appreciate any help I can get.
Say I wanted to start with java, my main questions are what options does this give me? like what kind of things can you do with java? what is it the most useful for? Like i said above i have messed around with java in notepad++ and eclipse and figured out how to compile basic programs through command prompt the harder way rather than having a program auto compile it for you but I guess i have no goal with java because I'm unclear as to what its capable of or what its mainly used for. I "heard" it was for game development so I guess that's what sparked my interest in it to begin with.

It's often used for game development, but it doesn't have to be. It's also not your only option for game dev, by a long way :)

I don't program in Java at all - I bought the "Java for Dummies" book a while ago, but couldn't get into it :laugh: So I can't give you much technical advice, but you'll often see it used for games in applets on websites, for example. It's less used than Flash for embedded games, though.

You can use any programming language to make games with, to some extent, so don't think it has to be Java. It's as good as any other language to start in, so if you're already learning it, keep working on it. With any language, it's gonna be slow going at the start, and your first games will be pretty simple stuff, but the aim should be to keep pushing yourself to learn more every time you make something new.

The first game I made with Flash is pretty awful, but it put together a bunch of things I'd learned into one project, and I was proud of it at the time. The next game, I made it bigger and included more new stuff. From a programming standpoint, it was really badly done - but it worked, and I was picking up new programming skills as I went along, and that's the important part.

fss_overall.png

#6 Opcode

Opcode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks alot guys really appreciate the input and advice! :)

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

You're very welcome! Feel free to ask anything else :)

fss_overall.png

#8 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

1. Would it be wiser to pickup 1 programming language first and stick to it and hammer at it for weeks and weeks rather than muddying the waters with multiple at once?

Neither. Learn programming before you learn languages to do it in. Programming is algorithms, data types, objects and the like.

2. Since I want to do lots of things with programming which language do you guys suggest I start with

The one designed for the type of programming you want to do. Writing games is different from writing for Android is different from writing for iThings is different from writing web apps.

3. As i mentioned above I plan on picking my college courses around computers and programming so i geuss what languges are the best to get me started and set me up to learn multiple?

Again, none. Take programming courses first, then take language courses.

Knowing a language to program in doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to program. It's okay if you want to fool around as a hobbtist, but if that's what you wanted you wouldn't be taking college courses in programming.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download