Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

what topic to choose in computer science

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bench45

bench45

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Programming Language:C
  • Learning:C

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hi I am currently studying computer science at uni, i have to pick either web and mobile development or advanced programming. in web and mobile they teach us jsp and android, in advanced programming we learn the more advanced concepts of java. i am confused as to which topic to pick, pleas could someone advise me on what to pick

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hi Bench, welcome to the forum!

I don't think we can pick for you - this could affect your entire career! Which are you more interested in developing with? What do you want to be using your programming knowledge for after college? :)

fss_overall.png

#3 bench45

bench45

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

thanks for the reply , i am intrested in both the topics but have no real idea on what to do after college. If basing my decision on demand, Which topic would have greater demand?

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Bench,
I don't think that choosing by demand would make you happy in the future.

What i can do tell you about demand is that the market is flooded with half-baked or not so good programers, so there is always demand for people who is really good in what they do so, my advice would be to pick the topic that shows the best of you, and they are equals in that untie the score choosing the side which makes you feel better about yourself when you do it.

#5 mindhackerzz

mindhackerzz

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Visual Basic .NET

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Hi Bench,

If you have already studied JSP and Android you go for advance programming especially in Java. In market, demand for Java developer is increasing day-by-day. If you have strong concept of J2SE, then JSP would be a plus point for you. Later on, you can learn any framework of jsp like Spring MVC or hibernate etc. to get strong hold on Java web development.

I do the same in my final year project and now I'm strong in development any kind of applications like desktop and web application in Java.

Cheers :)

#6 bench45

bench45

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help, rerally appreciate it.

#7 TALucas

TALucas

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C++, PHP, ActionScript

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

To be honest, either path would open up a host of similar jobs. Most companies looking for IT professionals hire individuals with a general skillset, and then train them to fill their needs. For example, I learned java in university and my first job was in COBOL, and now I program in .NET for the same company.

My Computer Science degree told them I had the capacity to learn IT STUFF....from there, they molded my talents to benefit the company.

When choosing a career path...always choose what you enjoy.
Your thoughts are the architects of your destiny.

#8 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

It really doesn't matter which you choose. Go into something that you are the most interested in.

There are only two things I can tell you that will help you:

1. You will only get out of school, what you put in.

This means that if you slack off, don't expect to be a good programmer. Put in the work, and put in extra work to make sure you understand it thoroughly. For example: When I was learning C++, I did the required exercises, but also did some other things to make sure I had it down solid before the next day. One night, while learning pointers to pointers, I was up late, making sure I had it. By the time I had my epiphany and was ready to go to bed, the alarm went off to get up to go to school.

2. You will learn more in your first job than you did in 4 years of college.

In college, you will learn how to program. In the real world, you will learn how to be a programmer.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#9 Upstream

Upstream

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

If you are not sure then a more general approach would be my advice. For instance Android is closely related to java. A good understanding of object oriented programming is beneficial for both and this is best learned in more advanced programming courses.

My opinion on education is that it is best to focus on the more generic skills like math, concepts and inter personal skills. Later in life you can always adopt specific applications based on the general skills and knowledge you have mastered at school.

PS. I think it is a bit strange to study Android at uni. Thats sound to me like a car mechanic taking the course BMW.
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim." (Edsger Dijkstra)

#10 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Great points Upstream. I agree with everything you said, I think that makes a lot of sense.

fss_overall.png

#11 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Its not strange learning Android at university, You need to learn principles, but you need to have it in a practical way too, and Android is a good way as it's free to use. They could have choosen iOS or Windows Phone development too, but you need to start somewhere.

So uni shouldn't teach java because there are also pascal, lisp and prolog out there?

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#12 fread

fread

Programming God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, PL/SQL

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

A good option would have been to cover each at different semesters. That way you can decide which one you prefer after getting your feet wet on both. Sometimes you may think you like something and after you get knee deep, you realize you don't really like it as much.
An informed decision seems wise.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download