Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Will a prefix system be useful?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Do you think a prefix system would be useful here on CC? Why? Why not?

Picking a prefix

cc prefix selection.PNG

Displaying topics with prefix

cc prefix example.PNG

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#2 kernelcoder

kernelcoder

CC Devotee

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:Objective-C, PHP, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yes, I think it will be useful. At least, I see, in the above screenshot, it is useful. I think it will be useful for forum that has somewhat mixed/sub forums like C/C++/Managed C++, Javascript/CSS/Ajax and in case of similar forums.

#3 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think that would be a great addition.

edit: looks like it's already active. I think it is a great addition :laugh:

fss_overall.png

#4 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

We actually had this implemented previously (years back, on vBulletin). Unfortunately, people rarely ended up using it, although at the time there was also an option to force a tag (but then people just left it as the default!) Not sure how it's implemented on IPB.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#5 programmingservices

programmingservices

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

In a way it will be useful but only in case of specific queries but what if there are several options (more than one) or users are unaware of unsure on technology?

#6 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, like TkTech said, the trick will be getting people to actually use it. But I agree it would be super helpful. Human behavior studies show that, when presented with more options, users tend toward inaction rather than action, meaning that the majority of users will tend to not use this prefix drop-down and instead skip over it.

If the form will simply refuse to validate if the drop down is on its default value ('None'), then that will force users to choose either C or C++. However, the flip side is that this makes it just a tad more inconvenient. Some beginner users may not even be sure of what to pick there, leading to possible incorrect values.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's good enough for a problem that I think we've all had our share of frustrations over.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#7 Showstopper

Showstopper

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yeah it is best as an option for people that know whats happening but you can't force people to use it.

#8 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yes, I think it will be useful. At least, I see, in the above screenshot, it is useful. I think it will be useful for forum that has somewhat mixed/sub forums like C/C++/Managed C++, Javascript/CSS/Ajax and in case of similar forums.

My initial thought was what you mentioned above (C/C++/Managed C++). Also, I've been getting feedback to merge the HTML/Js/css forums since HTML5 kind of overlaps them all. A general HTML/CSS/Js/Ajax/HTML-type of forum would definitely need tags/prefixes like this.

I think all languages (that we cover here) would also be useful in the Homework / General Programming section. For the H/W, it's obvious why, but for General, someone can potentially post in the General Programming section and a mod can move it to the correct section easily.

We actually had this implemented previously (years back, on vBulletin). Unfortunately, people rarely ended up using it, although at the time there was also an option to force a tag (but then people just left it as the default!) Not sure how it's implemented on IPB.

Yes, I've seen it before. IPB is similarly implemented. I did get a new plug-in that allows for easier setup and auto-prefixing. I'm still trying out some features to see how it can be used more effectively.

Yeah, like TkTech said, the trick will be getting people to actually use it. But I agree it would be super helpful. Human behavior studies show that, when presented with more options, users tend toward inaction rather than action, meaning that the majority of users will tend to not use this prefix drop-down and instead skip over it.

If the form will simply refuse to validate if the drop down is on its default value ('None'), then that will force users to choose either C or C++. However, the flip side is that this makes it just a tad more inconvenient. Some beginner users may not even be sure of what to pick there, leading to possible incorrect values.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's good enough for a problem that I think we've all had our share of frustrations over.

Not sure if forcing the user to do it is the best way. If something is missing from a thread, we (mods) can always go in and add them. I wonder if it's better to force a prefix or just to add them later.

Yeah it is best as an option for people that know whats happening but you can't force people to use it.

I'm leaning towards an option...

I will go through a first pass this weekend. When you start seeing the prefixes, you can post more feedback here on what to add, delete, modify/improve.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#9 VNFox

VNFox

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:Assembly

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

that would be awesome ... keep on the good work.

www.pickmike.com
I don't just develop software. I find solutions to your business needs.

#10 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I couldn't wait, so started to implement some of the prefixes. You can see them when you create a new topic! Please give it a try and let me know what do you think! :)

#11 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I don't think we need to force anyone to use them. they're easily added later, and it's not like it's essential to prefix a post (we manage find without prefixes right now), they're just to make it easier :)

fss_overall.png

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download