Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Free Game Development Resources

game art free resources sprites pixel art 3d 2d engine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Here are some free game developer resources. If you know any I missed, post them and I'll add to the list. I've tried to keep a high standard in this list - sites offering a single pack of low poly models aren't included.

Don't forget we have game development tutorials right here on Codecall!

Developer Prototyping / Game Making Tools
Make your own games for free with these tools. Also good for prototyping or demoing concepts.

Stencyl is based on MIT Scratch and uses a drag and drop interface to create ActionScript 3 code. An advanced code editor allows code to be directly written if the drag'n'drop tools aren't powerful enough. Exports primarily to Flash, but for expert users with access to a Mac, it can also create iOS apps.

Game Maker is another drag and drop program useful for fast prototyping or simple game development. Free version is fairly limited and only allows export to exe, but paid upgrades allow export to HTML5, iOS, and Android.

Unity is a powerful development engine for 3D games. UnityScript is ECMA based, but C# can be used instead. Free version includes a physics engine, multiplayer networking, and DirectX 11 support. Can power games for browser, download, current gen consoles, or mobile. can also export to Flash, but with limitations.

Torque3D is a powerful 3D game development toolset which will be released as open source software soon. It is recommended you wait for this rather than buying it at it's current price.

Free Game Art
The websites listed here provide free art you can legally use in your games. Some of them require credit - always check the license.

Open Game Art provides royalty free art for game developers. There's a pretty varied range: 2D, 3D, backgrounds, character models, etc. The drawback is that it's not always provided in packs, and finding matching pieces can be difficult. Browsing or searching isn't great if you don't already know exactly what you need.

Lost Garden is an excellent blog by a top game developer. He occasionally posts up art packs for game developers to use. Most are 2.5D isometric images, very high quality, and available in a couple of formats.

CG Textures is the world's largest free textures site. Can be used in commercial games, but not opensource projects. 15mb download limit per 24 hours.

Blender Models is a Blender 3D model repository. Images are user submitted so the quality is varied. There is no license information on the site so contacting the artists before you use their work is recommended.

A collection of high quality pixel art icons designed for games is available here(download link is below the preview). Free, no catch.

Artsader contains 2D pixel art, characters, UI icons, and textures. Most pieces are CC zero-attribution (aka public domain), so you can use them however you like.

#2 programmingservices

programmingservices

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

Thank You BenW, that's very generous of you. Although I'm aware of few, I honestly didn't know about all of the above.

#3 papabear

papabear

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

you've got some good list buddy :)
Life has no CTRL+Z
Never Forget To HIT "LIKE" If I Helped

#4 irfan_s

irfan_s

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wow, awesome. Kudos to you and to the artists ;)

#5 MisterFreeman

MisterFreeman

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Why not UDK?

#6 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

thanks BenW

#7 bason

bason

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for sharing this great resources mate. Going to try it out.