Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How do you feel about CloudFlare?

cloudflare performance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I had CloudFlare on my list of things to try out for CC in the next few week. However, I saw that they went down over the weekend (at least their Euro datacenter). I'm now having some doubts.

Previously, we have discussed CloudFlare a few times (here and here). But it's not conclusive how well they perform for a somewhat busy site. I know their stats are impressive, but is it the right things for our site?

How do you feel about CloudFlare and their technology? Any recent experiences?

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#2 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Perl, Bash
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'm registered on another forum that uses CF and i'd say i don't like going there because the site is just bad at responding.
Your wish though :)

#3 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm still gathering some data. We didn't have good experience when we tried last year, but I figured they must be working hard to make things better. It might be worthwhile to try again just to see. Their setup is relatively simple, probably not too difficult to flip to them and back if something goes awry.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Go for it Roger!
Let's see how CC likes it!

#5 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Probably in ~2 weeks. I still have a short list of "upgrades" I am doing before working on pure performance. The list was long, but I've been working hard to get stuff done. :)

#6 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Cloudflare is just a scam. It does absolutely nothing to protect against ddos attacks. They can still attack he main IP which is the obvious place to attack first. However, the speed increase on Cloudflare is highly reputable but that is really it. It's just an overused CDN.
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#7 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Can't you just hide the server IP/domain? For example, if you move your site to thryckz.example.com for www.example.com (CloudFlare) to pull from, then a ddos attack won't know your subdomain.

#8 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

But then the attacker could attack the TLD domain which will still have the same affect since your domain is hosted from their nameservers.
Plus, I believe it's still possible to ping a subdomain. Not sure though.

I recommend that you take a look at "Net Tools" Developed by Mohammad Ahmadi Bidakhvidi.
This program features over 100 hacking tools, the guy even found the algorithm for four or five major credit card companies. The program is free and I believe I found it in 2008 when I was in 5th grade. The program features hacking tools from a HTTP Flooder to False Email Spoofer.
Where I am getting at here, is that program was found by a 5th grader...in 2008.
It's obvious we evolved since then, with that said, I am preety sure attacks on sub domains is extremely easy right now.

Sorry if its messy, I literally just got up.
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.

#9 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I know there are tools out there to take down sites. That's not the reason I'm thinking about C/F. I'm mainly interested in performance (faster) and reliability (uptime) during normal times. Granted, if someone targets CC to take it down, I'm sure they can do it if they tried. Heck, I take it down sometime just with the mods I add (accidentally). :P

#10 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Why would anyone want to take codecall down? Thats a sin!

#11 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

But then the attacker could attack the TLD domain which will still have the same affect since your domain is hosted from their nameservers.
Plus, I believe it's still possible to ping a subdomain. Not sure though.

I recommend that you take a look at "Net Tools" Developed by Mohammad Ahmadi Bidakhvidi.
This program features over 100 hacking tools, the guy even found the algorithm for four or five major credit card companies. The program is free and I believe I found it in 2008 when I was in 5th grade. The program features hacking tools from a HTTP Flooder to False Email Spoofer.
Where I am getting at here, is that program was found by a 5th grader...in 2008.
It's obvious we evolved since then, with that said, I am preety sure attacks on sub domains is extremely easy right now.

Sorry if its messy, I literally just got up.

And now, there are better tools to get root access to the domain ^^
I've seen a lot of sites defaced just because the attacker wanted to test these tools. I'm not giving out the names of the tools though.

#12 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Please don't, neil! :) We had a ddos thread here on CC before and every kid on the Internet decided to run it once against CC while surfing the thread. I had to remove it. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cloudflare, performance

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download