Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best program to write/run Javascript in?

JavaScript

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 InfiniteDreamz

InfiniteDreamz

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Learning:Java, PL/SQL

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hello,

Sorry for my obvious n00b question. I'm trying to learn Javascript in order to write automation cases as a Quality Assurance Engineer. I'm taking an intro to programming class in college, and have not yet gotten to the Javascript section. Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance. :thumbup1:

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Javascript is usually interpreted and executed in a browser, so any browser will do. (IE, Chrome, Firefox...)

If, however, you're needing your script to control any part of your operating system for automation purposes, you'll need to look into Windows Script Host.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 InfiniteDreamz

InfiniteDreamz

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Learning:Java, PL/SQL

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for your response. What application or add on would I use in my browser? Thanks again!

#4 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Perl, Bash
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

I use Kate (if windows, try notepad++) for editing and Firefox for testing.

#5 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for your response. What application or add on would I use in my browser? Thanks again!

You don't need any addons to use Javascript. Are you sure it's definitely Javascript and not Java you're going to be using?

fss_overall.png

#6 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I found this html-kit tool useful when i have to code and test javascript

when you install it you create an empty page or a template page and then when your javascript is ready you go to the bottom of the page , hit preview and it will give you the page with the javascript execution

#7 VNFox

VNFox

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:Assembly

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I found that Visual Studio is the best program to write Javascript. I like the intelli-sense thingy from Visual Studio.

www.pickmike.com
I don't just develop software. I find solutions to your business needs.

#8 cdg10620

cdg10620

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, VBScript, Others

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

I write all of my Javascript using Visual Studio (Mainly because i'm a .NET developer) or Notepad++ and I do almost all of my testing in Firefox or Chrome. I have started using Chrome primarily because it loads up faster than Firefox and now i'm used to it. If you do prefer Firefox you need to install the "Firebug" add in as well as stuff like Tamper Data, and Web Developer. If you're doing web stuff Colorzilla is a handy tool as well. Be aware that with Chrome sometimes you'll have browser cache issues (or at least that has been my experience) and I need to clear my cache every once in a while when making changes. This also depends on if you're using a Javascript library like ExtJS or something else.

Hope this helps.

Another note I just thought of... Each browser tends to render Javascript differently. Mainly IE. If you are building something and want cross browser compatibility you will need to test in multiple browsers and check multiple versions of those browsers.
-CDG10620
Software Developer

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download