Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Programming Without Coding Technology (PWCT)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanTech

DanTech

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, JavaScript, Assembly
  • Learning:Java, Objective-C, (Visual) Basic

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi!

Searching on the net i found a program called " Programming without coding technology".
It consist on creating windows programs very easy.

"Software development tool designed for computer users to give them the ability to create any software they need without previous knowledge of computer programming where the user will start to learn how to program and will understand the programming concepts using this tool step by step and without the need to write code by hand at all where the programming done through general purpose visual programming languages. Unlike other visual programming languages, PWCT is not limited and target also professional and mainstream programmers by giving them more productivity than traditional text-based programming languages. Programming Without Coding Technology is a Free-Open Source Visual Programming Languages Framework to create new General Purpose Visual Programming Languages (VPLs) that are a practical alternative to Text based Programming Languages (TPLs). PWCT comes with four general purpose visual programming languages (HarbourPWCT, PythonPWCT, C#PWCT, and SupernovaPWCT). "

What do you think of this program?

#2 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, Python, Visual Basic .NET

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Like most things I'd say there are advantages and disadvantages...

Disadvantages:
  • Programming without code is like having a phone without a sim-card...
    • Sounds nice in theory, but kind of useless in the real world...
  • Optimization of code is pretty much impossible...
    • You rely on someone else's code to do optimization on the code that you want to generate. This doesn't sound to bad but can be such a pain to live with!
  • Complex things that you want to have your program do for instance connect to a database is hard. Making it easy to design what a button should do is one thing, but what if you want to call another function.
  • Don't even get me started on if this thing is Object Orientated or not...
  • Bjarne Stroustrup actually invented C++ to be hard! If it was easy, everyone would use it.
    • Don't get me wrong I'm all for tools that make it simple to do some stuff for me (like GUI's etc), but I still want to know that the code I am writing is my own work and it is as good as I can possibly make it. Saving a couple of bytes by improving an algorithm is what I love doing.
    • If the compilation process fails, where do you start looking??? in this article: http://www.codeproje...Technology-PWCT someone couldn't figure out why the application would not compile... Turns out the file name was wrong (it had a hyphen in it). If my application doesn't compile, I want to know exactly why and not wait for an external dev team to tell me why...
Advantages:
  • Making GUI's could be less annoying.
  • Code automation sounds good in theory.
  • Novice coders or complete idiots may try to make a program and appreciate us more.
All in all I won't switch in a long time. I chose C++ so that I have to code as neatly and as efficiently as I humanly can. Sure I make mistakes (sometime really stupid ones) but I learn from them! Relying on a tool takes away all of the fun of coding. Automation in my mind should stay with Intellisense and code snippets. Nothing more. It should hint in the right direction and sometimes help in syntax, but NEVER code for me.

TL;DR
I think it's cool that some people want to be lazy and use stuff like this, it means I'll make more money one day.
No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:08 AM

Mod note: Moved to General Programming forum.

Honestly, I'm one of those bottom-up learners, where I learn the basics of the language before I learn how to do fancy things. To truly understand how something works, how it's done, etc., you need to look at the implementation and learn that way. In my opinion, anyway.

Granted, there are people who just want results quickly, or can't afford the time/money to take the necessary course(s) or training to be able to do what they need to do. That's perfectly fine, but once tasks start to become more complicated...then what?

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#4 programmingservices

programmingservices

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'm in favor of ease and efficiency; having said that I will still consider the pointers provided by "lintwurm" especially what he said in his point 5.2 about compilation.

#5 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

How about "Eating without putting food in your body" or even "Horseback riding without a horse"?

This is "Creating an application without programming". Programming includes both designing the program AND coding it. This isn't programming any more than Mother McCree's Meatless Meatballs are meatballs.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download