Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Windows 8 metro

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#25 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, Python, Visual Basic .NET

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

The very first time I installed Windows 8 on a VM and it asked me to "swipe to start" I deleted the VM, formatted my PC and I am now proudly running OpenSuse 12.2. Gnome was ** so I stuck with KDE and I have been WAY more productive. No more time wasted playing games :P Although Steam will be coming out soon as the beta is due to start "in a couple of days"...

IMHO windows made really bad choices, industry doesn't mind, users get used to it and eventually everyone forgets what windows should look like. I'm glad I abandoned ship though.
No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#26 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I don't know what is the problem with Windows 8 looking. 70% is the same as in the Windows 7. The main and the biggest difference is the WinRT (there is still WinNT in Win8) which provide a new type of Start (Metro Style). There is still desktop which is the main part of the "How Windows should like". And the login part is looking different.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#27 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

... which provide a new type of Start (Metro Style).

But I was just now getting used to the current Start menu! :)

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#28 Shiroi

Shiroi

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

For the record the windows 8 style is not called Metro anymore.
And the start screen is a start menu on steriods. For you to see the usefulness you have to be ready to open up your mind, its simple you can pin your most useds apps or for sever guys you can pin an app that allows you to monitor the severs and what not.

How it looks all depends on how you set it up, i have mine and people ask me what it is i said the new MS OS, some saids it looks cool, so it all depends on how you set up yours. And for programmers you would hardly be in the windows 8 interface anyway, so just pin the desktop link to the start screen and click it when you login.

And just saying your all behaving like how they first behave when Microsoft introduce the start menu way back then, and the ribbon is fine i use it and have no problem with it majority of users use it and don't have any problems with it. Is either you accept the change and move on or change to something else, anyway we take it, Window 8 will ship off and the masses will either hate it or like it and if you take an hour to actually use your brain you can figure out how the Start Screen is beneficial( not saying you guys are not using your brains now). But as most people said if you don't want to boot into the start screen just hibernate and wake your computer it goes right back to the start screen, and as some one pointed out, the desktop is there, its just your start screen like what you have in windows 7 where you choose which user account with a major steroids upgrade.

And for the record, Microsoft is not known for having good designs, i believe they have some monkeys or some preschool children doing there design.

#29 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

So... you say that if we use our brain we will see that the design made by preschool children is great?

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#30 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Yes, Shiroi, it sounded like you were contradicting yourself there. You started off praising Microsoft's design, then ended criticizing it. Can you be a little more clear?

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#31 Shiroi

Shiroi

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ahh, i am fine with Metro, i said it is how you set up your start screen that will show the difference.
I was trying to make refer to over the years Microsoft have a very poor record in design, for example i like the Visual Studio 2010 look, but when i see Visual Studio 2012, i get depressed.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download