Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Making an Application (2 months making)

application thesis tutorial suggestions programming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PuddingEatsPanda

PuddingEatsPanda

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, C#
  • Learning:PHP, JavaScript, Bash, Others

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

What is the best application or program to make for my thesis? Must be done within 2 months and a few weeks..
My thesis group mates suddenly decided to drop our thesis class coz they dont seem to have time.. I on the other hand want to finish this now so I was wondering what should i do?
Thinking of
-DTA
-Media player
-Real estate selling website (?)

Any suggestions? Mine looks lame >w<

Want to learn MOAR

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

I think a Media Player is a pretty safe bet for a project. Everyone has used one before, so you can work off what people already expect them to be able to do (eg everyone knows what the 'Play' button looks like, and what it does), as well as adding your own improvements. This will give you a much easier time of it if you have to do usability testing :)

Which language will you be using for this?

fss_overall.png

#3 PuddingEatsPanda

PuddingEatsPanda

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I hope I can use C#... I havent heard of C++ having any GUI and I still suck at VB since I am self studying.... Not so sure if this is possible too at java...
Honestly I know just average of Java, still feel comfortable with C# and C++ lol

Want to learn MOAR

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Maybe a game, a silly game like tic-tac-toe ( there is tutorials for it in Codecall )
or a card game, the upside of it is popular games are easy to understand for everybody and since you make a computer-player to match against you do some artificial intelligence and that surely scores ;)

doable in two months, in any language, can have nice GUI, is entertaining for the one who evaluates it and you can score extra for the AI, and there is for sure code samples for any game in the web too

Make me know if you like that idea, if you don't we will think of something else

#5 PuddingEatsPanda

PuddingEatsPanda

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hmm... will that be on flash? I gotta do something that is kinda educational? Hahaha... I suck at making educational things... Is there like an educational card game?
The last thing i was doing was a 3d world to virtually tour future students to our university O.O and I feel I suck so much in blender and the handicap is i am still learning blender and unity....

Want to learn MOAR

#6 wizarddrummer

wizarddrummer

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Real Estate Web site.

If you're good at what you do, and you cobble a decent site, you can a) sell it as a template, B) find some local mom and pop Real Estate Brokers or Sales Associates and get them to advertise on it for a small fee. c) learn just how frustrating it is to design a website integreated with voodoo SEO (which didn't exist in November of 1991, when the World Wide Web was created) and see that hardly anyone comes to it.

If you're going to spend the time doing a project you might consider doing something that you really have to stretch for. Don't play it safe, unless time or other circumstances prevents that.

#7 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

I hope I can use C#... I havent heard of C++ having any GUI and I still suck at VB since I am self studying.... Not so sure if this is possible too at java...
Honestly I know just average of Java, still feel comfortable with C# and C++ lol

You can use C++ in Visual Studio (C++.NET) so you can build WinForms applications. But if you want it with C# then I suggest you to create Media Player. Just download some SDK (from any known commercial media player like BS Player). When you figure it out what that SDK contains it would be very easy to implement those methods and classes to make your player work and look great.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well, i can hand over to you a little about the educational games concept,

Take a look at this game where your goal is to save a patient, :D

you can find another examples of educational games here

i think you need to focus in what education you intend to give with the game, the game itself is not difficult to code as you can see in the examples, :D

#9 kernelcoder

kernelcoder

CC Devotee

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:Objective-C, PHP, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Well, I'm just want to say that if you want to go with C++, there are few good C++ GUI Frameworks which are platform independence as well like -- Qt, GTK, wxWidgets. Note that VLC media player is build with Qt QUI frameworks. So, just throwing a way, you can go for a media player to build which will be platform independent. To make it short, you can use VLC backend libraries (as it is open source) and you can build the user interface your own for the thesis.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download