Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Best Laptop for Programming

laptop brands

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 krish

krish

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, Objective-C
  • Learning:Java

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi sir,

Am planning to buy a laptop , which will heavy used for programming , and for quite a long time ... primary requirement are 4GB Ram, 500 HD and 13 or 15 inch display . Which brand i should opt for HP , Lenovo or acer or other ..

Regards
krish

#2 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Perl, Bash
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Doubt there should be a problem for a dev environment.
Any should do. Make sure they have good support.
I'd say build your own laptop though Posted Image

#3 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

I would actually go with more RAM. I'd go with 8 GB of ram and create developing environments by setting up virtual machines (VM) on your computer, running the one you want to use at the moment. I use VirtualBox for this.

This way, you can be programming in Windows in one VM, linux in the other, and maybe something else (Maybe MacOS X) in a third and still have a nice, clean normal runtime base installation which is not clogged with dozens of programming utilities for everyday usage. Also, many programming tasks these days might need different services like databases, web servers, simulators etc. By making a VM for them, you only start these services when you actually need to use them, as you probably don't want to turn on and off services depending on your current project.

An VM is also good to have a disk saved as a base installation of your environment, and if you somehow make it bad, you don't need to reformat the whole computer, only the needed VM, or, just get a clean copy of your VM and restart on what you are up to.

I got an Dell xps 15 with 8gb ram, intel i7 processor and 750 gb harddrive, and I am very pleased with everything about it, and for me, it was affordable, and I know the hardware can last pretty long as it pretty late.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#4 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Woah, "Dell xps 15"! I almost got one of those. Ended up picking the Toshiba Protege Z935 Ultrabook. I kind of wished I got the Dell, though, since it looks much better.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

Krish,
I might add to your requirement a little more memory and i strongly suggest you investigate about cooling and how much your laptops battery can keep it going,
those two factors will be the parameters on how long your programming session can last, since the machine heats with long use (which could at some point deteriorate the hardware) and batteries definitely should last longer than your developing stamina :D

so, researching on cooling, heating and batteries will be a good idea, i own an Asus and it works fine, had an Acer before and it was fine too, as you see, i stand with A brands, lol

#6 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

More ram = "more gooder" :)

I would also get the largest monitor you can afford.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#7 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Perl, Bash
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

More ram = "more gooder" :)

Unless he runs x86

#8 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Woah, "Dell xps 15"! I almost got one of those. Ended up picking the Toshiba Protege Z935 Ultrabook. I kind of wished I got the Dell, though, since it looks much better.

Using my student discount, and their campaign, I paid equivalent to US$1170 instead of equivalent to US$ 1950 for it.

I would also get the largest monitor you can afford.

Well, bigger is not always better when talking about laptop monitors.

Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#9 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Using my student discount, and their campaign, I paid equivalent to US$1170 instead of equivalent to US$ 1950 for it.

I almost got a XPS for $1500, but then they came out with the XPS 14, so I flinched and got the Toshiba. But $1170 is a steal!

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#10 WaterNode

WaterNode

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Python
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, Lua, Assembly, Others

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is most likely not helpful, but I think you should do Desktop > Laptop for programming. Why? Because most programmers that I know of use two screens for efficiency, and it's much harder to do that with a laptop, never heard of a portable laptop with two screens. And about the specs, what are you planning to do with programming on the laptop, it really depends.

#11 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Ofcourse laptops can have more screens, just have one with a docking station

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: laptop, brands

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download