Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to practice C++

c++ c++

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 qyler

qyler

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Learning:C++

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

I learned some basics of C++ and I would like to get more advanced with it. What type of things could I do to learn to code better with C++?
- The things that go to those who wait, may be taken by those who got their first

#2 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Get a book, read tutorials, and practice, practice, practice.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#3 Shasaur

Shasaur

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, ActionScript
  • Learning:C++, Others

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Buy a book which talks about more advanced stuff or...
try to program something hard and see how you do or...
get a GUI and try to program with that.

One of the best ideas is to make your programming more efficient, take a look at it and shorten it or make it take up less memory.

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Which is your goal ? that defines it all

In order to learn, as foretold by lespauled and shusaur, you need to gain experience which means in one hand to practice what you have learned and in the other to go for bigger challenges so they make you study and work harder.

now the questions is in what kind of program would you like to work the hardest ? are you interested in programed games ? multimedia ? algorithms ? communication ?
the challenge to be taken will be depending on what your interest is,

so, if you can tell me what kind of things would see yourself more interested in i will tell you what kind of exercises and programs suits you better in this stage of your learning

#5 qyler

qyler

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

I would like to see myself go into game programming. I know the basic practice is buy books and practice to get better, but the only thing is, which books to buy and practice which things? I hope I can get some advice on which books/practice programs would be best.
- The things that go to those who wait, may be taken by those who got their first

#6 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

In games, memory management can be crucial. Depending on the types of games you are interested in, threading, networking and graphics are important also.

It would do you good to learn about the STL also. The STL provides standard algorithms and data structures for common tasks. :) These algorithms and data structures are highly optimized and using them would help in making your game much more efficient. Lagging games are bad. Knowledge of the STL will serve you well in other types of programs also.

#7 preetisoft2

preetisoft2

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

I think you should buy some good practice book like- interview question books. And then practice from these books.

#8 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

Game programming may be putting the cart before the horse. You really need a solid foundation in both general programming and your language of choice specific programming. You can get a "in a nutshell" reference book with either a beginner or professional Wrox (or other) book. The reference will assist you as a quick reference, and the other will serve as an actual tutorial throughout the language.

If you are serious about being a programmer, I recommend reading the book cover to cover. Do not rush through it!!! In fact, if you are not perfectly clear on a certain part, do it over and over until it clicks.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#9 notes

notes

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Programming Language:C++
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

I hope I can get some advice on which books/practice programs would be best.

Check resources section for good books : http://forum.codecal...7-cc-resources/
To programm games you still need deep knowledge of language you are using to understand structures and algorithms used. I recommend Thinking in c++ Tome I and II. It has some exercises after each chapter that will help you understand and practice. Later you can think about Open GL's, DirectX or SDL libraries trust me, deep knowledge of language will benefit in future.
Remebre about KISS & DRY

#10 qyler

qyler

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

As a final thing I wanted to say. I have some books which teach C++, is there some website where it gives tasks to complete in C++ to help someone practice it?

#11 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

uva.onlinejudge.org

#12 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I recommend picking a game you'd like to make, and working towards being able to do that. Start with something very, very simple that you think you can do already, maybe Hangman, and then add a couple of extra features to it. You'll likely run into something along the way that you didn't expect, and that's where you learn how to overcome the obstacle and improve your programming.

fss_overall.png

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download