Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Why use VB6 or VB.NET?

Visual Basic 4 / 5 / 6 VB.NET c++ C# c++

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zer033x

Zer033x

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, C#, Lua
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Lua, Others

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi everyone, I am just wondering why people use VB6 over say C# or C++? I am primarily a C++ programmer and have dabbled in C# a bit. Just curious of the main differences that would make a company/person decide to use VB6 over some of these other languages. Is VB6 particularly good at a certain type of programming? Is it easy? Etc. Thanks.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

Zero,
VB6 is very easy and does not require much knowledge or structure to make simple things as forms and reports, c# or VB.NET are even better but requires OOP knowledge

#3 ertan

ertan

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

agree blackrabbit and it needs big framework.. :) vb6 has very big problem in win 7 (sometimes it doesnt work) and I believe that programs which created in vb6 will not work in win 8. I remember that Microsoft stopped supporting vb6 for new windows OS (I am not sure but I think that I read an article about tht)

in my opinion, you may focus on .net programming (vb.net or c#.net which supports 100% object oriented programming )

#4 VNFox

VNFox

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:Assembly

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Use VB.NET because it supports Object Oriented. You can do Webbase application with VB.NET (ASP.NET), Class Library, keep up yourself with the latest technology.

VB6 is obsolete, and it will be gone soon.

www.pickmike.com
I don't just develop software. I find solutions to your business needs.

#5 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

VB.NET will die soon as well. C# is the language that should replace VB.NET but it's still to young language to do that.
According to http://www.tiobe.com...tpci/index.html C# is a way better then VB.NET and VB is better then VB.NET so I don't think that VB.NET have any kind of future.
All that you said about VB.NET is the same for C#.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#6 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I second Tonchi. Learn C#.Net these days. VB6/VB.Net is dying in the long run. Learn them if you see the opportunity to get a specific job for knowing them, but have you learned C#.Net, you can help minor work in VB.net with not too much effort.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

VB6 is dying, and was never overly respected. A lot of people learned it, however, and can easily translate those skills to VB.NET. In general, anything you can do with VB.NET can as easily be coded in C#.NET.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

The biggest reason is existing code. If a company has 50 or 100 major apps written in VB (6, some version of .net, whatever), they're not going to spend the money to convert them all to C#. You don't fix what's not broken. If the company is staying with Windows XP (an awful lot of large companies are - it costs a fortune to convert a few thousand desktops to a new OS, and address all the bugs that causes), they have no problem with VB not working in Windows 7 or 8.

For hobbyists, jumping on the latest bandwagon as soon as it comes out doesn't cost much. For a company with dozens of large offices all over the world, each with a few hundred people running one desktop and one laptop, you could buy a small country for what moving to the next version of Windows costs. (It's not just the cost of a few dozen site licenses for Windows, it's all the time and employees it takes to do the transition and fix all the problems it causes - like VB6 programs not working right.)

#9 StenTen

StenTen

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

VB6 programming is supported by Microsoft until 'at least' 2024.  And VB6 works fine in Windows 7 and Window 8.x

It isn't usually cost justified to convert working apps to another language.

#10 Korlando

Korlando

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:Java, NXT-G

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

You could learn VB6 only if it's your first programming laungage because it is easy. Usually people start with VB6. But nowdays I think that starting with vb.net would be better as in my opinion vb6 and vb.net are almost same(well...they have got some differences but I remember that I didn't face any problems when I tried to 'move' into vb.net). 

Well, vb.net can help you out with many problems as it is easy and for small programs programming would be a piece of cake but I don't think that you need it as you already know C++. 

C#/C++ can be used almost everywhere. Every platform or engine usually has something that can be programmed with C#/C++. Visual basic is still alive because people usually start with it. It's not as spread as it's C++/C#

Edited by Korlando, 31 October 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#11 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yes, market wise it will be like it's with Cobol, there are millions of apps working, and no seemingly reason to migrate, so it will be alive for a long while.

Aside of that, it's demand will lower down, and new apps will be done in rather new languages than in old VB6. Reason? Programers evolve, and new technology. At some point, VB will not be able to connect with some new either libs, OS, or hardware and for that reason it will start being discarded for new projects. It won't be new versions of VB6 because the news go to VB.NET. 

If I were a prolific VB6 programer today, I would still be upgrading my knowledge to VB.NET or other lang.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Visual Basic 4 / 5 / 6, VB.NET, c++, C#, c++

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download