Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

ubuntu installation questions

ubuntu installation cd/dvd help ubuntu wont install correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jmancuso

Jmancuso

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

im trying to download ubuntu server on my machine. i downloaded and burned the ISO onto a cd and it booted from the disk nicely but after i click install ubuntu, it resizes itself and then the keyboard doesnt work. I am thinking it;s happening because it is 64 bit and this is an older machine so i might have to install a 32 bit ubuntu operating system but i dont have any more cd's so i used a dvd but it wont boot from the dvd.

my question is 1) why does the the resize/keyboard not working happen?
2) what is the difference between burning an ISO on a cd and burning an ISO on a dvd? why wont it boot?

-thanks in advance

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

I am thinking it;s happening because it is 64 bit and this is an older machine so i might have to install a 32 bit ubuntu operating system

If your system is 32 bit and your Ubuntu disc is 64 bit, it wouldn't even boot. How old is the machine? Do you know the model number of your processor?

my question is 1) why does the the resize/keyboard not working happen?

Not sure. Possibly a driver issue. At what point does it freeze? After the initial boot menu? Just as it's entering the GUI? Or after you've been in the GUI?

2) what is the difference between burning an ISO on a cd and burning an ISO on a dvd? why wont it boot?

There shouldn't be any difference. What program are you using to burn the ISO? You also mentioned your computer is an older machine. Are you sure it has a DVD reader in it?

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 Jmancuso

Jmancuso

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

1) you are a genius. it doesnt have a dvd reader. it only says compact disc on the front.
2) and on the cd, it boots, asks for the language, i press english, it has a little menu of options like install, install from first hard disk etc, i click install ubuntu and it goes to another screen where it asks for language and then it resizes and cuts out there

#4 tavich

tavich

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

1) you are a genius. it doesnt have a dvd reader. it only says compact disc on the front.
2) and on the cd, it boots, asks for the language, i press english, it has a little menu of options like install, install from first hard disk etc, i click install ubuntu and it goes to another screen where it asks for language and then it resizes and cuts out there

Resizing is a System Error, it's hard to explain but mainly its because your graphics card cannot sync with your screen at that given time, how long have you had this computer? My advice will be to get a new Graphics Card or get a smaller monitor ( Boot Resolution is 800x600 by default on every computer. )

If it does not say DVD reader I suggest you buy a DVD Writer then, they are real cheap.
If you don't want to dish out 20+ dollars then you may be able to burn it to a compact disc. Not sure if a computer can pick up bootable files from those.
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#5 Jmancuso

Jmancuso

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

well the truth is my machine is an ibm server i got from ebay for pretty cheap, maybe now i know why. it boots all up fine in the bios and everything tho so i cant say theres anything wrong with it. the video card looks pretty new. i hooked it up to an old CRT 800x600 monitor with still no luck. it does say planar video disabled due to add-in video card. not sure what this means.

#6 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

it does say planar video disabled due to add-in video card. not sure what this means.

That would be referencing the built-in video on the motherboard. If the motherboard has a video card built-in, and it detects a 2nd video card plugged into one of the expansion ports, it will use the expansion card and disable the onboard video.

You can try re-enabling the onboard video and taking out the extra graphics card, and see if that has any effect.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ubuntu installation, cd/dvd, help, ubuntu wont install correctly

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download