Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Reporting environment question

reporting relational databases reporting system help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gjermani

gjermani

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, PHP
  • Learning:PHP, PL/SQL

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hello peeps!
I have a design (architecture) issue rather than pure coding.
I am creating a reporting environment for song sales.

How would you start, I have personally not done anything this big before, thus looking for guidelines.

My general guidelines that were given to me are:

People would add a song, with the respective id that they get from the affiliates, the title, together with the respective people that gain copyright % from each song sale (you know, some are singers, some are writers, some are composers).

Now as a final product I wanna have an interface where people would be able to input these data, I will get the sales on a monthly basis (on an excel sheet, convert it into cvs and then manipulate it, that part is simple)

The part that I don't get is on how to organize a database to do such a thing. All I know is that I should get into relational databases but I still haven't figured out how to do so.

Any examples that I can look into, since googling wasn't as resourceful

Thanks in advance!

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

Can't imagine why you'd have trouble finding results on Google. The search phrase "Relational Database Tutorial" returned this good result:
http://www.dreaminco...-normalization/

Check the tutorial sections of this forum as well. Might be something useful there.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reporting, relational databases, reporting system, help

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download