Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

New to software programming.

c++ c++

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kinji

Kinji

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:Python, JavaScript, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, C#, PHP

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I recently started to learn software programming such as c++ or java. But I don't know which one I should start with first. I am very fluent in css html and javascript. Which one should I choose first?

#2 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

It all depends on what you want to do.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#3 Kinji

Kinji

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:Python, JavaScript, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, C#, PHP

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well aren't some languages more basic and easier to start out with?

#4 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

To be fluent with HTML, CSS and Javascript is a good start. HTML and CSS is not really programming, it's merely attribution marking of content, but javascript is a good start of programming.

I'd suggest, as you're so good at web programming, that you move on to a web language, for example PHP or asp.net, depending on your choice of environment. There, you can have some use of your current skill and take your web to the next level.

Otherwise, I suggest you to start with C, C++ or Java to start learning the basics of programming

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#5 Cruel Hand

Cruel Hand

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, Objective-C, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, PHP, (Visual) Basic, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Ruby, PL/SQL, Pascal, Assembly, Haskell

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I personally started with Java and I like it.

If you want to get started with Java I can recommend an EXCELLENT book:

http://www.amazon.co...s=k.n.king java

#6 programmingservices

programmingservices

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

Java

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Having worked with C++ and Java, I can make arguments for both languages, and would say that learning both is worthwhile.

C++ will force you to learn lower-level concepts, like memory management. The down side is you'll have more bugs. The upside is you'll learn not to take memory for granted. Despite what Java people would have you believe, this is still a worthwhile concern when you code in Java. C++ also lets you acquire some concepts more slowly than Java does. Java pushes awareness of Object Oriented Programming on you a lot faster.

Java, on the other hand, has built in support for graphics, connecting to databases, and many other features. This means you can learn how to make nicer looking programs in Java without having to learn additional libraries.

They're both solid languages. I like C++ a little better, but that's an aesthetic thing.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

i vouch for well explained wingedpanther's assertion on the case

Having worked with C++ and Java, I can make arguments for both languages, and would say that learning both is worthwhile.

C++ will force you to learn lower-level concepts, like memory management. The down side is you'll have more bugs. The upside is you'll learn not to take memory for granted. Despite what Java people would have you believe, this is still a worthwhile concern when you code in Java. C++ also lets you acquire some concepts more slowly than Java does. Java pushes awareness of Object Oriented Programming on you a lot faster.

Java, on the other hand, has built in support for graphics, connecting to databases, and many other features. This means you can learn how to make nicer looking programs in Java without having to learn additional libraries.

They're both solid languages. I like C++ a little better, but that's an aesthetic thing.

#9 MeekLogic

MeekLogic

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Lua

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Try C# as it will be very easy to start and you'll learn syntax similar to C++
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
- Martin Golding

#10 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, Others
  • Learning:C, C++, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

As I can see, C# is getting more and more to be using in programming world. I have to agree with logicPwn. C# is very powerfull and very easy language. Start with it and if you have any question just ask. And don't forget to look in tutorials here on Codecall.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#11 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well aren't some languages more basic and easier to start out with?

Some tools are easier to start out with, but a carpenter first has to know how to work with wood before he starts learning tools to do the work with. Things like cutting and various ways of fastening wood.

A programmer has to learn programming before he learns languages - things like data structures and algorithms. Get a book on programming and learn that first.

Which language you use depends on what you're doing. You don't write web pages in C++ and you don't write iPhone apps in PHP.

#12 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, Python, Visual Basic .NET

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just my 2 cents... C++ is preferred for a started language at my university. The reason for this is that you won't appreciate what Java really does for you. All the wrappers etc. C++ makes you work hard and for good reason in my opinion. My first language was C++ and I use it to this day. Java is cool, but does too much for you.
No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download