Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Where next?

pascal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Others
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, (Visual) Basic, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Assembly, Others

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

Hi, i have finished so much about pascal, from the basic things, if, while , for, bubble sort... to the use of crt functions , graphics , making animations, to making games and paint in pascal. What next, where to go, what to do? I havent learn dynamic programming , paraller programming , how to use binary trees, but nobody seems to care to teach it to pascal programmers. help?

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

No, Pascal is unfortunately a not so used language any more. I learnt my first real programming in Pascal in 1993-1995, but after that, I've almost not used it at all. These days, it's PHP, C/C++, Java or C# that I feel is the big languages. A pascal programmer has no future with pascal only as I feel it.

There are a lot of different things to learn. for parallel programming, I don't think Pascal is one of the best choices.

to learn Dynamic programming, knowledge in graph theory and other a little bit higher mathematics is a good thing. Start learning graph theory, and such as Dijkstra's algorithm.

I also recommend you to learn about recursion before going into dynamic programming.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 fread

fread

Programming God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, PL/SQL

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Pascal is a good language for learning purposes but it does not have much practical applications these days.

#4 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, (Visual) Basic, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Assembly, Others

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

thank you guys for the reply, orjan, where can i learn those theories? Basically , my ideas in c++ and pascal about how to solve a problem is the same. So is there an e-book that has much theories and methods or something?

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

If you are using Delphi for your Pascal, and you have C++, you will find that you will be right at home with C#. I was a Delphi and C++ programmer when I read that the guy who wrote Delphi has moved to Microsoft and is developing a new language (C#). Because he was aways ahead of Microsoft, I checked into it and found that it was essentially a combination of C++ with some Delphi flavor. I was right at home.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#6 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

actually, i do not want to be advanced at delphi and languages like that the next 2 years, because i have to get an award in republic competition in my country so i can bypass the exam at college at go into any college i want, its a rule here. So i need to learn pascal better.

#7 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

About graph theory, start with wikipedia and try to understand what they describe, then check it's references. Those might be a good start.

Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#8 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

ok, does the graph theory has anything to do with the programming competitions, im 17 years old? Please, i need a lot more theories. Also, i have no idea how they make their programs faster. I make a working program but time limit is too high so i fail. Help?

#9 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

What kind of programming competitions are you talking about?

#10 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

well, here all the competitions from the past years- http://www.dms.org.r...ics_high_school
its serbian so i guess you will not understand.
im talking about school competitions.

#11 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Everything in programming is to practice and learn by mistakes.
It's lots of theories, but start being fast, secure and stable about the basics before you learn the more advanced things.

#12 Hacker4life

Hacker4life

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

i know the basics perfectly. I have won many things from competitions, but about the more ranked contests , i didnt do a good job. Thats why i need to learn the advanced things. Nobody wants to show me, my teacher doesnt care, and idk where to go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pascal

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download