Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for Programmers for Thrive: An Epic Game Of Evolution

Game Thrive Simulation Evolution Revolutionary Games Video Gaming Free Open Source

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickTheNick

NickTheNick

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Learning:C, C++

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Before you begin reading, it is important to note that, as Thrive is a non profit game, there will not be any payment for contributions to this project. All we can give in return is our eternal gratitude, and a wonderful game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thrive is widely inspired by the concept behind a PC game called Spore. Though Spore was initially billed as a realistic, scientific game about evolution, the final product got watered down until it had practically nothing to do with science or reality. Thrive aims to succeed where Spore failed. Thrive will be a free, open-source game created by an online community of dedicated volunteers. Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players' intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory.

Upon beginning the game, you will witness the explosive birth of a new Universe. You start out in God Mode, one of the games three modes. The other two are Organism Mode and Strategy Mode. In God Mode, you can raise volcanoes, control the fate of ecosystems, and manipulate evolution itself-like a sandbox game. Organism Mode is entered by choosing an organism and essentially taking control of them. Explore the environment and encounter other organisms, all like a kind of adventure game. Strategy Mode is entered by picking some form of country or other faction, which you control in RTS style.

Thrive's goal is to encapsulate the player in the wonders of the universe, and to allow them to manipulate the virtual world around them in any way they please. Our game will contain multiple editors where players can create and modify technology, culture, organisms, and entire solar systems.

When a player tires of creation, or wishes to test what they have made, they can move on to actually playing the game, and experience the evolutionary progression of a species from a eukaryotic single cell to a thriving civilization. At any point in the game, a player can play as a single organism and experience the world through their senses. Later, as organisms group together, the player can move into an RTS-style play where they command several units at once- from a few footsoldiers to fleets of starships.

Along the way from cities to colonized planets and beyond, special tools will be discovered by your species. These "God Tools" allow for easy manipulation of entities within the game- merging together the editors and gameplay to allow the player to reshape their universe from within.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we realize the titanic scale of this project, we will focus on releasing it in segments, based off of the different stages of gameplay. The first stage to complete is the Microbe stage, which is almost entirely conceptualized. Prototypes can be found on our ModDB page.

If you are interested in joining this incredible project, and can donate any amount of time at all, please join our developer forums, at http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum, where we will be more then glad to welcome you to the team. We really need programmers, and any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

For more information about Thrive, visit http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/

#2 tavich

tavich

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Interesting idea.
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#3 NickTheNick

NickTheNick

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

Would you be interested in joining?

#4 tavich

tavich

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Already said yes :P
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#5 NickTheNick

NickTheNick

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

So that's it? Just one guy?

(no offense Thryckz, your awesome!)

#6 bizworldusa

bizworldusa

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Programming Language:C
  • Learning:C

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

This is Interesting idea. I want to join.........

Thank you
Bizworldusa

#7 NickTheNick

NickTheNick

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Wonderful! I'll PM you the details shortly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Thrive, Simulation, Evolution, Revolutionary Games, Video Gaming, Free, Open Source

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download