Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Programming Necessary To Pre-Fill Pdf

pdf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davidcornett

davidcornett

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Learning:JavaScript, Others

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

I have a dynamic fill-in XFA form created in Adobe LiveCycle. A lot of the fields we already have the answers to so we'd like to be able to automatically pre-fill the PDF before sending it to a client. All of our data is stored in a SQL database.

What programming steps and languages would be necessary to query a name, and have matching data returned from the SQL database and able to fill in the PDF? I've successfully pre-filled the form using an XML file with the fields named correctly, so I assume one solution is to automatically generate the XML doc from the database, and then using Acrobat we can import the data in 1 step. Any idea how to go about doing the XML generation/transfer?
Would a certain programming language like C# help with this whole process?

I'm very new to programming, so I'd appreciate a kick in the right direction. Thanks!

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

It's absolutely an solution with a XML file. It can be done using just about any language, but if you are in a windows environment, C# might be a good choice, as you can create a small windows application which allows you to search the customer in the database and get the file in a nice and tidy way.

This shows the making of a XML file in C# from microsoft's help: http://msdn.microsof...y/bb387089.aspx

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 davidcornett

davidcornett

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Learning:JavaScript, Others

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

It's absolutely an solution with a XML file. It can be done using just about any language, but if you are in a windows environment, C# might be a good choice, as you can create a small windows application which allows you to search the customer in the database and get the file in a nice and tidy way.

This shows the making of a XML file in C# from microsoft's help: http://msdn.microsof...y/bb387089.aspx

Thanks for the reply Orjan. Are there any clear advantages using C# rather than SQL SSIS to create jobs?

#4 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Probably that you can make a neater application for generating your XML than SSIS might be. If you already use SSIS and it can make it for you, stick to it, I'd say.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pdf

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download