Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Looking For Programmer(S) To Help With New Game!

newgame fps creative killing unrestricted gameplay customization clothing characters

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blakbewwy

Blakbewwy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hey there.

For the past week or so, I've been coming up with ideas for a game similar to Team Fortress 2 in that it's a cartoon-style first person shooter. In this potential game (which is not yet named) it involves non-restrictive, fully customizable game-play with all sorts of unique apparel, and achievements which can be physically worn on the player as medals. As well as this, however, our main potential selling point is what I've nicknamed "Creative Killing". Creative Killing involves using indirect methods to kill your victim, and comes with several advantages.

A simple example of a Creative Kill involves your victim, who has not yet spotted you, crouched on the floor "hiding" while trying to regenerate health before entering the battle again. A large, heavy crate is suspended above his head attached only to the ceiling by a rope. Severing the rope by using some form of ranged weapon will drop the crate and instantly kill this victim. That's a Creative Kill, and earns bonus points.

However, let's say you decide to use your cutlass to directly kill him. By the time you reach him, he could've finished regenerating and turned round, giving him a chance to kill you. If he doesn't turn, it'll still take 3 to 5 hits to finish him off giving him an easy opportunity to either kill you, damage you or at least escape. Even if you do manage to kill him despite the odds against you, you won't have your lovely bonus points.

That's why Creative Killing is a main selling point in this game, as it's fun and earns bonus points, as well as giving you a higher survival chance (usually). Of course, I'm not just saying you should never use a direct kill; at times, it'll be much more convenient. However, a player never using Creative Kills will soon find that his/her points are low and that he/she has got a higher death rate.

Without being too revealing, a brief summary of the basic plot of the game is that a time paradox has occurred for unknown reasons, bringing 7 different eras all to the same time and their populations with it. The game doesn't have classes, meaning people can mix and match different eras of clothing with different eras of weapons (however, the same era of weapon and clothing will give some sort of stat bonus). The 7 "classes" are Wizards, Cowboys, Knights, Pirates, Vikings, Victorians and Ninjas. This brings very different and mixed combat (still balanced, as none of them have "proper" guns or modern weapons) without ruining the fun of an FPS.

For the sake of secrecy, I'm not giving anything more away; I'm basically looking for one or more programmers to help create this game. It won't be an easy task, so I probably won't accept anyone new to coding, but I know literally nothing of code so I can't do it alone. Anyone who is kind enough to help isn't paid until the game is complete, where some percentage of the final profit is promised depending on how much we make.

Anyone who wants to help will probably want to be close to the GMT time-zone (U.K), and also download Steam so we can use that as a form of communication (it's free, only takes a few minutes to install). Just post here or send an email, just don't message me because I only just came to these forums and probably won't check them.

My dearest thanks to anyone who decides to help; as long as this project runs smoothly, I don't see why it'd fail!

Thanks again and hope to see someone soon.

#2 tavich

tavich

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

It won't be an easy task, so I probably won't accept anyone new to coding, but I know literally nothing of code so I can't do it alone.

Two Things:
1) How can you judge someone if they are good or not if you never programmed before?
2) What will you be doing exactly?

For the past week or so, I've been coming up with ideas for a game similar to Team Fortress 2

1) Your making a DM styled game with cartoon graphics. Yea, thats nothing like TF2.

And another thing, your planing to create a full fps game with people you found on the internet. I mean, even the most terrible games that people are playing now were created by a company or is company funded. Unless your getting a sponsor I am positive not many people are going to want to create a full on FPS with what you said included.
You also did not mention the engine or any technical detail. How would we know we would even be fit for the job without actually bothering you with a message? I mean, alot of programming languages are good in their own way, each graphic/physics engine utilizes the language to create a project. If we don't know the engine, we don't know what language.

The game doesn't have classes,

Mostly every game nowadays is played by a class for a reason, and following that, you just described a class that you want in yoru game.

download Steam so we can use that as a form of communication (it's free, only takes a few minutes to install).

I use steam, its a gaming platform. Not ment for much business conversation. I don't see Microsoft using Steam to chat with people....Skype would be a much better solution.

Actually read above, I may have seemed mean but I'm just trying to get my point across. It all seem's too familar, seems like you just got all of that from TF2, and you want to use steam as as communication which tells the readers that your probably not well inputed into computers as your attempting to make yourself out to be.

Just post here or send an email, just don't message me because I only just came to these forums and probably won't check them.

Welcome to the forums

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#3 bigboy

bigboy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Following up on what Thrycks said, There's nothing wrong not knowing any coding and asking for someone for help. It's just that if you want to make these types of games, You need to learn coding yourself. It's not that hard if you have the patience(okay, well it is and it isn't)

Games like these have more than just seven classes. You'll be using more than you think you need. Classes that you'll need, just a few: users, controllers, scenery, maps, and a lot more. In fact, the entire game, in itself, is a class.

I've seen a number of people over the internet think they can just advertise for services or think programming is very easy to do and have very minimal things put together, when it is not easy. Well, it's easy, but you have to have patience.

Like Thrycks said, Not trying to be mean but just trying to get to the point. If you want to make your own games, you have to learn, and/or know what you want exactly.

#4 Blakbewwy

Blakbewwy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

As I have mentioned, I'm purposely keeping details confidential so nobody decides to copy me. The largely negative response is hardly what I'm looking for; negativity is fine, useful in fact, if you can actually provide reason to it and tell me how to improve (as well as why it's bad). But Thryckz, your post wasn't any use as you're basing your opinion over an extremely small slither of information about the game. Many, many aspects have already been organised and, I don't see what's wrong with hiring people over the internet. How do you think companies are formed? By companies hiring them. Similar scenario.

Thryckz I'd like to point out some flaws I'd usually just leave, but I think you should know for the next time you pepper someone with unnecessary negativity.

1) Your making a DM styled game with cartoon graphics. Yea, thats nothing like TF2.

Later on in the post...

It all seem's too familar, seems like you just got all of that from TF2

Basically, some useful information would be nice despite the fact you did make a few good points which I forgot to mention in the post. Since I know close to nothing of code, I am asking of people to "bother" me with messages so they can help me understand which engine and language would best suit the type of game I'm looking for. The likely reason that I've missed some points is that I've pasted it on a few different forums and had to check each one regularly. These points I've missed have been pointed out on my other posts and I corrected them, so I'll say it here as well; I probably don't seem like I know what I'm doing, but I'm extremely advanced in areas such as modelling, texturing and coming up for the ideas for the game itself. The only part I can't do are the mechanics, the code behind the game, which is why I'm asking for hope from someone who doesn't judge and can at least give someone like me a chance before dismissing anything they say.

Thanks. Leaving this post up because I'm sure someone out there thinks like I do.

#5 Slevin

Slevin

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Learning:C, C++, C#, Python, PL/SQL, Others

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Just some friendly advice from someone fairly new to coding. I have never worked on a project with someone for money or anything, but I think it's still valid. Essentially what you have posted is a brief description of an idea for a game that you have (Which sounds a lot like Bulletstorm with/without? classes), and a call to anyone who might be interested. Since you don't know a language yourself, you would essentially be a Designer, and since you aren't really going to be doing much, you're probably going to have to manage a lot of other things as well. There is nothing wrong with this, or asking whether people want to help out, but as someone who is probably going to be taking the role of Designer and whatever else, your post really doesn't make it seem like you have put a lot of thought into this. It sounds like you have had thought of a cool idea for a game, and have then jumped straight into trying to find people to help you make it (This might not be the case, but if you don't word your question right, we will never know, will we?). You need to do some research, then you need to write down how you would go about making the game, what you would do while making it, and what you are going to do after you have made it, and what other people are going to be doing, and what obstacles you might come up against. Then, you need to go and spend a couple of weeks learning a language (I would suggest something like Python), so it isn't going to be ** for a programmer to work with you, then you need to come back and repost your question as someone who is confident, prepared and thoughtful.

I'm not having a go at you, but regardless of how awesome your idea, if you don't come across as someone that people are going to want to spend a huge amount of time working with (Because your game is going to take a long time to make), then no one is going to be interested. As it is, you sound like a kid that plays a lot of video games and wants to make one without actually knowing what it takes to do that. That, coupled with the fact that people are only going to get payed if the game makes money, is going to turn a lot of people away.

#6 Blakbewwy

Blakbewwy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice Slevin, but I've decided that trying to actually hire people via the internet is far too complicated I'm turning to getting some people I know to help create the game so I don't have to go through with all the hassle. I don't quite know how learning Python or a similar language would help, but I probably won't take that route as I take too many roles in the project to be programming as well. I understand why my point may seem unclear and, as you say, as if I'm a kid who just plays loads of video games and that I don't know what I'm doing; but that isn't the case. It's organised and I do know the information you're talking about, just didn't phrase it as well as I probably could've.

#7 tavich

tavich

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Dude as long as you want to do this go give it a try, were not saying you shouldn't. We are just stating the fact that it will be extremely difficult since you never programmed at this height.
But you should really work on something smaller :)

Engine:
Unity is a good engine to start in if you are on a small budget for your team.

UDK is a great engine, but your going to need ALOT of models as prefabs are harder to find. Static models can range from 0-100 and Rigged models can range from 0-500

Endorphin / Morpheme / Europhoria is a great physics engine. Great for generating those awesome animations that are awesome :)

Programming:
Microsoft's XNA framework is great for both starting and returning programmers. It is possible to be used in all .net languages ( C#.net / C#, C++.net / C++, VB.net / VB)
If you understand the style of .net, you are good to program in mostly every engine.

Team:
Team's can and should be made from people at staff.com, google ad's, steam, xfire, desura, deviantart and codecall :)
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#8 Blakbewwy

Blakbewwy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Thryckz but you're getting the wrong idea; I'm not giving up, rather searching from a different group of people. Mainly friends and friends of friends, who'll trust me more to promise cuts of profits rather than actual payments during the creation of the game. I know what you mean by working on something smaller, but that's kind of my idea already; we leave out a lot of complicated features of the game so it's relatively basic. Then, instead of moving on and making a different game, we'll remodel it and make it twice as good and so on. Constantly keep adding more and more at a time until we're happy; of course, this'll take a long time, which I do have.

Thanks for the advice, people who posted here!

#9 Slevin

Slevin

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Learning:C, C++, C#, Python, PL/SQL, Others

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like a plan, good luck!

#10 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi Blakbewwy, welcome to CodeCall.

I am not going to apply for the programmer position. But I would like to point you to some areas that might be useful for you to "manage" the project. Since you are not the programmer, then I believe you are more like to managing the programmers. The best way to do this is with help of these area/tools:
  • UML, Unified Modeling Language. Way to define your project specifications in technical, but still easy for people without non-technical backround to understand it. There is a subforum about UML here, and there were some very useful posts for starting learning it.
  • Source code controlling/repository. Either use Subversion or git.
  • Issue tracking. You can assign jobs, track progress or problem here. You can use free ones, like mantis, bugzilla, etc. Or commercial one like JIRA.
  • Project resource management. Provides you way to plan, analyze, schedule, and track your resources of a project. Example of this kind of software are: MS Project and Primavera. I believe JIRA also has this capability.

#11 Blakbewwy

Blakbewwy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks but as I've said, I'm covered. I already have, or am in the process of getting, everything on that list apart from UML. I've already acquired 2 programmers from other sources and believe I'm on the right track so any more advice won't be necessary.

#12 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Lisp, Scheme

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

So let me get this straight: you wont reveal any real details, because you think people will copy you; you're looking for people to make the game for you, and you wont pay those people right away?

Sorry, but you seem to be very misinformed about how game development works. First off, your ideas are worthless. Every single programmer out there has a list of more than 10 potentially great game ideas and other personal projects. Unless offered money, they will never simply jump in and start working on your game, especially if you provided no real information and actually suggested Steam as a mode of communication.
There is this one type of person called "the idea guy", you seem to fit the description.

Now, I'm not bashing you or your projects, but just giving you the real picture. What I suggest you do is:

1. Learn programming (I suggest you start with C++).
2. Get a prototype of the game made by yourself.
3. Post about it online, maybe start maintaining a development blog, get known in the indie circles (#indiehighfive, #indiefamily, Gamedev.net, etc).
4. Learn how game studios are formed, or how you can all make a collective contract.

Then start gathering up people. And remember, a contract is a must have.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newgame, fps, creative, killing, unrestricted, gameplay, customization, clothing, characters

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download