Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Does Virtual Box Slow Down My Pc?

virtual box virus slowdown

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 abderrahim

abderrahim

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Perl, Pascal, Assembly, Haskell
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Assembly, Haskell

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hi every body,
I'm a real beginner in virtualisation softwares, so here is my problem
I'm running Windows 7 and linux Ubuntu in a dual boot, I also have Virtual Box installed in Windows 7, and I need to run some bad files (viruses, trojans...) in Windows 7, not the original, but the guest, wich will probablly slow down my host system (I'm using the default memory size which Virtual Box suggest to allocate, I need Virtual Box to move foreword and back in the history of VM's state, so here is a recap in the Screenshot:
Screenshot from 2012-06-22 11:56:08.png
Thank you in advance.
Sorry about my weak English

#2 Davide

Davide

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Yes, your PC would have to run both the host and the guest at the same time.

It would run a lot faster in a dual boot but it would be more uncomfortable, that is the point of the Virtual Box.
Are you a newbie programmer trying to learn C#? Check out my small tutorial: Visual C# Programming Basics

#3 abderrahim

abderrahim

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

ok thank you,
I guess there is no solution to run malwares in a virtual space without installing another OS? or a program similar to deepfreeze (windows) to recover the system's state when needed?? is there?

#4 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi abderrahim,

Your original post content actually did not tell us the details of the problem. So I had to answer based on my assumption.

Does Virtual Box Slow Down My Pc?

Definitly. Since when running, Virtual Box and the guest OS will consume the host PC's memory and cpu time. If you want to ask how to limit resources, then you have to modify the size of memory and disk assigned for the specific virtual box. And you can adjust the priority of process that run the virtual box (in order to limit cpu time). I don't know if you can do this in Virtual Box, but in VMWare you can limit how many CPU (or CPU core) assigned for a virtual machine.

I guess there is no solution to run malwares in a virtual space without installing another OS? or a program similar to deepfreeze (windows) to recover the system's state when needed?? is there?

Actually since Windows XP, you already have DeepFreeze's feature build in with the OS. You can use System Restore for this. However I agree that using virtual machine is the best way for such kind of task. Snapshots will help you a lot in analyzing the behaviour of viri without risking they got leaked to your real system.

#5 abderrahim

abderrahim

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

hi LuthfiHakim, thank you for your clarifications,
by the way, you can limit CPU usage, disk memory and RAM in Virtual Box, it's better to leave it in it's default values

#6 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

That's great! I never used Virtual Box extensively before.

#7 Davide

Davide

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

Actually since Windows XP, you already have DeepFreeze's feature build in with the OS. You can use System Restore for this. However I agree that using virtual machine is the best way for such kind of task. Snapshots will help you a lot in analyzing the behaviour of viri without risking they got leaked to your real system.

This is a very bad advice. System Restore is nowhere near as efficient as DeepFreeze, your computer could still be infected after a system restore.

Snapshots are the best solution for you. Use Virtual Box to save the system state, and then restore it to it's original state after you infect it. Nothing can escape snapshots.

Also, very important note: To share an internet connection with the virtual machine, the host must be on the same network with the guest. A good virus could find a way into your computer if you don't disconnect the network.

If you really need internet on the guest system, try to set the firewall in your host to interactive filtering. Why? Because if you see any suspicious internet activity you could block it by pressing a button.
Are you a newbie programmer trying to learn C#? Check out my small tutorial: Visual C# Programming Basics

#8 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

This is a very bad advice. System Restore is nowhere near as efficient as DeepFreeze, your computer could still be infected after a system restore.

Snapshots are the best solution for you. Use Virtual Box to save the system state, and then restore it to it's original state after you infect it. Nothing can escape snapshots.

How do you justify that I gave very bad advice while you actually repeating my core advice? You can not say DeepFreeze is more efficient that System Restore since they have a real big difference. System Restore does not keep documents, while DeepFreeze keep all kind of files. If one ask which one is better to use, of course I will answer using DeepFreeze will be more reliable. But, when did I say System Restore is better than DeepFreeze?

#9 Davide

Davide

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

How do you justify that I gave very bad advice while you actually repeating my core advice? You can not say DeepFreeze is more efficient that System Restore since they have a real big difference. System Restore does not keep documents, while DeepFreeze keep all kind of files. If one ask which one is better to use, of course I will answer using DeepFreeze will be more reliable. But, when did I say System Restore is better than DeepFreeze?

Le wikipedia quote:

System Restore is a component of Microsoft's Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, but not Windows 2000,[1]operating systems that allows for the rolling back of system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc., to a previous state in the event of system malfunction or failure.

^ This means that it doesn't change user-created files on your computer, I also happen to know this because I restored my system plenty of times in my life. Infected files can infect the system after a restore. A restore also does not always wipe out infected system files.

I also happen to know plenty of system administrators using Deep Freeze in their labs/computer clusters to prevent viruses from sticking around.

Actually since Windows XP, you already have DeepFreeze's feature build in with the OS. You can use System Restore for this.

No, you cannot use system restore to "run malwares in a virtual space without installing another OS".

It is not your core advice, but if he, or anyone that finds this thread on Google picks this option because it is the easiest solution, they are going to have a very bad time.

#10 abderrahim

abderrahim

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Okey okey, that wasn't bad, it's clear that (system restore point + files modification restore)=Deepfreeze,

You can use System Restore for this. However I agree that using virtual machine is the best way for such kind of task. Snapshots will help you a lot in analyzing the behaviour of viri without risking they got leaked to your real system.

@ Davide, thank you for your reply, LuthfiHakim mensioned that VMs are the best way for this task. he didn't tell why at first, you did.
so there is no contradiction
thank you both

#11 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Something important to consider: how much resources does your computer have? If Win 7 uses a base of 1GB of RAM, then running Win7 in VBox under Win7 uses 2GB of RAM + VBox. If you have 8 GB of RAM, this isn't really an issue, but if you have only 3GB, then there's a very good chance you'll start using caching to hard drive.

I've used virtual machines running on Windows Server 2003, and around VM 4 or 5 is when the whole thing started to bog down. This was on a computer with 16GB RAM, RAID drives, and had servers running Oracle, SQL Server, etc.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#12 abderrahim

abderrahim

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

okey, VBox tries to make the best memory suggestion depending on two factors I guess: your computer ressources, and the OS you willing to install,
I have only 2GBs of RAM in my laptop in witch I only reserved 512MBs, and it runs very slowly, perhapse I'll try it in my desktop computer,
thank you WingedPanther!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: virtual, box, virus, slowdown

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download