Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Children &internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 fannychy

fannychy

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Internet these days is being used by everyone. At my home kids aged 10-13 are using it mostly to youtube there favorite cartoons.
Although youtube is pretty decent site. The other day i saw some flashy advertisement square shape banners on the right of the frame of stuff that is considered explicit in out society (conservative society).so is there any software can let me known what my kids do online?

#2 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

Well, this is a free thing:
http://www.nchsoftwa...ring/index.html

I didn't try it myself so I'm not sure how easily it can be 'avoided'.
Cause once you talk to your children about what they do, they may figure out something like this is running on their pc,

And then they may possibly just be able to kill the process in the task manager.
Depends on the quality of the software whether this is even possible, and how well your children know computers to figure it out ;)

As far as the advertisements and banners go, any decent ad blocker will get rid of those things so you don't see it. - Suggestions here will depend on browser.

#3 pittlerGG

pittlerGG

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Learning:Java

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

I dont think you would like to be monitored by your parents or anyone else while you are using your computer, regardless of what you are doing.

The power is yours to control your computer (and your kids) any way you prefer. My suggestion though, is that instead of installing spyware on your PC, you install your children with a comprehensive understanding of human nature and how that nature is expressed among people in the different cultures which exist around the world. Admittedly, I'm no pedagogist, but I have a hunch that any environment which consists of a conservative bubble, with an attitude of prohibition and ignorance towards anything you consider antithetical of your moral values, is almost certainly going to be detrimental to the mental growth of a child.

However, this isin't the forum for debating moral values LOL. You should either google for "parental control" (or the equivalent in your language) and you will find the full spectrum of free programs and offers for priced ones, or you should specify your OS and browser and we will give you more specific suggestions. I personally use firefox with adblock, which I think is great, no flashy advertisements anywhere, explicit or otherwise.

#4 WendellHarper

WendellHarper

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Programming Language:Visual Basic .NET

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:29 AM

There are some addons available for browsers to stop popup adversings but I don't thinkg that you can control everything with any of these addons. The best thing would be to stay around your children and keep an eye what they are doing on the internet. There may be some paid softwares available to give you control on restricting some words or sites but still you cannot be 100% sure about the results. There is lots of adult and explicit content on the internet and you cannot block everything.

Wendell Harper - Team Member at www.printingperiod.co.uk

#5 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

To get rid of adverts you can use Adblock which is a popular extension for some browsers (Mostly Chrome + FireFox) however if they are using a US site then they should be subjected to US culture and not hidden from it, if anything it will be good for them to learn about another culture.

No?

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#6 CommittedC0der

CommittedC0der

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

As LKP mentioned AdBlock is pretty good at what it does.  If you want more control you can also check your router as some of them have built in parental controls.  You should be able type 192.168.1.1 into your browsers address bar and log into your router with:

username: Admin

password: password

Otherwise you can check the documentation.  Good luck.

EDIT:  And now I see this thread is almost 2 years old...

Edited by CommittedC0der, 16 January 2014 - 11:13 AM.

There IS a war going on for your mind.
Nothing of eternal significance happens besides prayer.

#7 Ritwik I the programmer

Ritwik I the programmer

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, Python

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

Youtube normally doesn't show explicit(or even semi explicit) advertisements under usual circumstances. Of course, sometimes their suggested watches are pretty creepy. Are you sure it isn't being caused by any malware or unwanted browser addon? It happenned to me once.

I can believe, but why should I?

#8 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:01 AM

I don't think OP cares 2 years later :P

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download