Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Advice Regarding Web Reporting

Web report SQL SQL Reporting Services

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lessthanthree

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Good morning everyone!

So, I've been tasked with creating a way for end users to access a SQL database to create reports. They should be able to choose what to view in the report, how to display it, etc. etc. Without actually being able to edit. Pretty much I'm looking for a web-based authorized access.

So! My question. I've been browsing several web report software, but then I came upon an article saying that SQL Server Reporting Services would be able to do all this. Has anyone used it? If so, is it generally user friendly and can the user make custom reports where they just pull data from the database?

If no one has used this, then there are any suggestions as to what kind of software to look at?

Thanks Much!

#2 BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

About the users serving themselves their report .... not so much ... there is restrictions like data structure access, security, etc

about SQ server reporting services, yes, it would be probably easy for you to do it, but maybe if the report's complexity increases it could become either difficult or slow, but it will allow you to publish in the web scheduled template-based easy reports.

if you need either way more advanced reporting you will have to code them yourself and for that i would suggest you to take a look to Crystal reports (click me) which is natural reporting software now built in on .NET.

#3 genesis2U

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:C, Java

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Greetings Everyone,

There are possibilities to deploy all the requirements what you are seeking for, however you need to be specific as lot of coding is involved during executions. In case you are looking for a solution for large scale where basic users will be operating the reporting software, you might face few hindrances. Instead you can opt for Java Reporting Software which will have completely user friendly interface. Some handy reporting tools are available if you scout for them on internet. Customization is highly possible and you can search for some reporting software on internet where you can grasp the demos of how things work practically. Some additional information is available at http://www.javarepor...h-java-reports/

I hope this offers some help.

#4 Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Logo, Assembly, VBScript, Others

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

If I want an on-screen representation of the data, I usually use jqGrid. If I want to send the report to the user I generally send an xls file (using a PEAR library). (I say generally, because if the client wants something different and won't budge, I write what the client wants.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Web report, SQL, SQL Reporting Services

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download