Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Amd Or Intel

AMD Intel CPU cpu debate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: CPU Manufacturers (15 member(s) have cast votes)

AMD or Intel?

1. AMD (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Intel (11 votes [73.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Flaccidbear

Flaccidbear

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Learning:C++, Python

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

So, I'm thinking of building another system for my own use but it brings up the long time AMD or Intel debate. I was just wondering what you guys here think? Which manufacturer is best and why? :thumbup:

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think there was this same conversation on here not too long ago. Always comes up, I guess.

I don't consider there to be one definitive "best" over another. It really depends on several factors: what you plan on doing with your system, how much you can afford to spend...

Intel has some great things to offer in their high end chips, but they're rather expensive. If you're doing some heavy number crunching and every drop of horsepower counts, and if you can afford it, then go for the high-end Core i7's. And if you need it, i7's offer hyperthreading as well, effectively doubling the number of cores. (Be sure to research this, though. Hyperthreading doesn't benefit all types of operations. Some can even be hindered by it.)

If, however, you're mainly going to be playing games, then you really don't need to concern yourself with which brand processor you pick, because it's going to be your graphics card which largely determines the performance of your system. AMD would be better value in this case.

And unless you're an assembly programmer interested in the specific instruction sets available to one brand or the other, I don't think it matters.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

It all depends what you want to achieve in the system you are building.
Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

it is price against specific power,
but if you are going to do an operating system for your own use, non for selling purposes the only question you need to ask yourself is about hardware in time, i think, if you do your own O.S and you are going to be the only actual programmer for it :P , you might think what are you really gonna program, and since the heavy duty all-cpu-consumers apps needs lot of coding, i think you might think your priority is price.

still, your O.S shouldn't die or be mostly reprogrammed from one pc to another (when you change the actual one for the next one ), so maybe you should research on which models of processor has planned the mayor continuity, that will give you an idea of the minimum lifetime of your effort.

so, check if any trademark is about changing the architecture and you will get that as a dead end, or better, start when the new architecture comes, that will give your OS a little more of life spam :D

#5 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

If you don't have specific requirement that can not be done with AMD processors, I will always recommend AMD.

#6 Jurgeaustin

Jurgeaustin

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hello,
AMD and Intel are pretty popular with a large following so it is a difficult decision to prefer one over the other. Some factors which are helpful to consider when comparing the two large brands are prices, performance, lifespan and overclocking potential.

Thanks
Server Cabinets

#7 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Intel all the way!
While their integrated iGPUs are a disgrace no proper computer user should be using them (especially on a desktop). Any cheap nVidia/ATI will smash any iGPU (unless it has outdated drivers/software). Also they now have OCing warranties. Nice to be on the safe side (throw in a $30 cooler with an i5-2500k and you can push it to 4.5GHz).
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#8 900900

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, Lua

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Depends, some people swear by AMD some swear by Intel. It's like deciding whether to drink Pepsi or Coke.

AMD is known for being more of a "budget" type of processor with some not half bad performance. But these days new chips are so cheap I personally always go with an intel. They tend to pack a way better punch for a bigger price.

Just put an i5-3570k in a new desktop build - snagged it for under $170 and it is freaking FAST.

#9 Jarryd

Jarryd

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

So, I'm thinking of building another system for my own use but it brings up the long time AMD or Intel debate. I was just wondering what you guys here think? Which manufacturer is best and why? :thumbup:

I have noticed during my years of experience theres not much of a difference between the two performance-wise. However, when it comes to the cost of the processor and the amount of sockets.

Intel:

rPGA 988A/B (2008) - (Intel Core i7-600, 700, 800, 900 series, i5-400, 500 series & i3-300 series)
LGA 1366 (2008) - (Intel Core i7-900 series)
LGA 1156 (2009) - (Intel Core i7-800 series, i5-700, 600 series & i3-500 series)
LGA 1248 (2010) - (Intel Itanium - 9300 series)
LGA 1567 (2010) - (Intel Xeon - 6500, 7500 series)
LGA 1155 (2011) - (Intel Sandy Bridge-DT)
LGA 2011 (2011) - (Intel Sandy Bridge B2)

AMD:

Socket AM2+ (2007) - (AMD Athlon 64, AMD Athlon X2, AMD Phenom, AMD Phenom II)
Socket AM3 (2009) - (AMD Phenom II, AMD Athlon II, AMD Sempron)
Socket FM1 (2011) - (AMD Llano Processor)
Socket AM3+ (2011) - (AMD FX, Bulldozer) - (Bulldozer is the codename for the server and desktop processors released on October 12, 2011)

In my personal and professional opinion, AMD is the way to go - the reason: AMD bought out ATI years ago which means that ATI integrates better to an AMD processor. And even if your not running a graphics card, AMD still has less sockets and can produce the same amount of performance than an intel processor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AMD, Intel, CPU, cpu, debate

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download