Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Math + Programming

mathprogramming algorithm help computer science writing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdlugosch

jdlugosch

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm in a math/writing class at my University and am required to write a paper on a math topic. There is no list of things to choose from to write about, the only requirement is that in my paper I have "at least on substantial piece of worked mathematics". It is easy enough to find a math topic to write about that has some decent math that I could work out in my paper, but I was really hoping to do my paper on something computer science related (that is my major). The only problem is that I am having a really hard time finding anything with "substantial" math that I could put into my paper.

If anyone knows of something that may be a good topic, I'd love to hear it. Also, it's only a 4 page (double spaced) paper. Not very long, so by "substantial piece of worked mathematics" I mean that I would like it to be something like the Brachistochrone Problem (example here). The math that is shown here is a good example of the difficulty and amount of work I need. I don't need to spend a week learning that math behind something difficult, and I don't need something that will take 2 pages of worked math to complete.

I hope my request is understood and in the correct section of the forums.
Thanks for any help.

#2 jdlugosch

jdlugosch

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Not sure if anyone planned on replying to this or not, but the I like to procrastinate and the paper is due tomorrow and I have other things to do today, so I decided to write about the importance of sorting data in computer science and the math that goes behind calculating the (in)efficiency of different methods (Big O). So yep, that's what I did.

This thread can be closed.

#3 lethalwire

lethalwire

while(false){ ... }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm glad you figured it out. There are so many math related topics that revolve around in computer science. It makes it hard to pick one and say "Here you go, write about this." =)

#4 irancplusplus

irancplusplus

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, C#

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

I'm a graduate math student and a hobbyist programmer. I think math can be employed more in computer science. Digital Topology is a good example. It's about 2D and 3D digital objects.
I wrote this ebook! Will you translate it into English for free!?:confused: PM me!

#5 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I did a paper on fractals in my Technical Writing class, which was inspired by Fractint.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mathprogramming, algorithm, help, computer science, writing

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download