Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

License Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnP

johnP

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hello,
I have to distribute software (small CMS) inlut the library under GPL example of jQuery and Ckeditor.
I wonder if I can distribute my software under a Creative Commons license v3 (BY, BY-SA or BY-NC-SA).

I heard that the two types of licenses (CC and GPL vX) are not compatible, but I found many that are quite popular CMS released under a CC license containing third bookstores under the GPL.

So whether I can distribute my software under a Creative Commons license (Creative Commons license (BY, BY-SA or BY-NC-SA) as third party libraries containing GPL, Apache, BSD, ...

Thank you

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Licensing with web languages gets.... weird.

GPL (and LGPL) was created with rules about compiling code. By contrast, web languages aren't generally compiled, so it makes it a lot harder to violate them, but also harder to know where code is "linked".

Standard disclaimer, IANAL!, but I suspect you can use GPL js libraries, unmodified, in your HTML without issues, as long as you note the use of other elements with their licenses.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

From what I've seen: License the application with Creative Commons, give credit to library licensed as GPL (the library is just a subfolder that you link to afterall). If the GPL library is modified, not just linked to, you must make available its updated source with appropriate credit and note. If your application uses a significant portion of the GPL library's code within your own, then it is probably wise to licence under GPL.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download