Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Auto Update And Firewalls

delphi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oggtheclever

oggtheclever

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'm currently writing a media player and one of the things that I'd like it to do is to be able to automatically check my website to see if there are any updates available.

I'm using the following code to access my site.

with TDownloadURL.Create(self) do
   try
	 URL:='http://www.mysite.com/latestversion.txt';
	 FileName := 'D:\latestversion.txt';
	 OnDownloadProgress := URL_OnDownloadProgress;

ExecuteTarget(nil) ;
   finally
	 Free;
   end;

However, whenever I execute this piece of code my stupid firewall (Norton) not only stops it running but also deletes the executable without any input from me.

I wouldn't mind if it simply asked if my app is allowed to access the internet but no, it simply deletes it, crashing Delphi in the process.

Is there anyway to get around this? For example, FileZilla doesn't seem to have any problems when I use its 'check for updates' feature. What is FileZilla doing to placate Norton that I'm not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

#2 oggtheclever

oggtheclever

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sorry, was a bit premature here. Everything works brilliantly if the programme is properly installed to the programme files folder :D

#3 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi ogg,

Just to confirm, Norton Firewall now does not auto erasing your program anymore after you place it in "proper" program files folder? What if you create a "portable" version that does not need to be installed, so it runs from any folder it copied to. Will not it be "autoerased"?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download