Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

I'd Like To Get Into Making Android Apps

android

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#13 bloodchains

bloodchains

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

you may want to look into this thread for some information about Android Development http://forum.codecal...g-stop-in-here/ :) I wonder what school you're studying, because you mention about java and you're from Philippines right? Java was my first programming language too from school :-P

Hehe yes, I'm from the Philippines, but I learned Java here in the US. I'm studying in a community college. And thanks for the thread link!

#14 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I also really want to learn android programming. Unfortunately I don't enough time to dedicate for it right now. Will post tutorial or some writings once I have time.

So, I really appreciate those who kindly post Android tutorials.

-- Maybe the first discussion should be which version should we learn first. Do we want to learn ver. 2.x? or 3.x? or 4.x? Because there are so many gadgets still implementing older version, in fact much more than the 4.x version.

#15 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thank you Lufhfihakim, i hope we can be helpful on the field, any questions you post in the mobile forum will be kindly answered.

About Android SDK versions,

First thing to think about is : do i want to make software to plain android or do i want to do specific software for tablets?

Bigger android versions include many new tablet-oriented functionality, lower versions runs widely on cell phones.
Talking about market 99% (for real) of the devices runs Android 2.1 or bigger as you can see in the appbrains Android SDK distribution stats.

As you can see in that link, 90% of the Android devices are currently running Android 2.X versions, and only 10% of the share goes from 3.x to 4, which is absolutely reasonable since everybody owns a cell phone but tablets ... not so much

So, think about where do you want to place your application and you will now what versions and hardware to focus on, and since a table is more likely a pc than a phone also the application's and user's nature and profile will be different.

#16 enigmatic_Overlord

enigmatic_Overlord

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

The link John posted is your best bet. At the beginning of this year I wanted to learn how to do some programming on the Android as well and I used the Android SDK resource as well. They have great sample codes and they walk you through almost everything. I also downloaded some ebooks online, however the Android site was by far the most help.

#17 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

@BlackRabbit

Thanks, now I get why the are still gadgets using "older" version. So basically the version does not mean "improvements", but more targeted hardwares?

I think I am more interested in developing apps for tablets. Which one is the best one for me to start learning? 3.x or 4.x?

#18 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

And then again LuthfiHakim,

4.x version is a more agile version of the SDK, some cool new features to program but of course, less hardware (tablets) running it, still, a thought here, if you think you are going to have the idea, learn android and get your first app in the following 6 months, maybe a year, then program for 3.x, else go for 4, cause as the market grows the hardware share gets actualized towards the latest technology available.

Still, and this is a pretty advanced subject, in android most SDK versions are a lot compatible, so you can declare your app to run in a SDK range, as in : minimum SDK 2.1 / Maximun SDK 4.0 , so you can have certain control of compatibility, you can also target a very specific SDK as 4.0.

think about the first paragraph and you will have a realistic idea on what are going to program for, still, most of tablets runs android 3x or higher, and if you are targeting tablets specifically then probably the ones running 2x has not either the devices/memory or capability you are targeting to, so ... don't bother about low quality tablets ;)

#19 enigmatic_Overlord

enigmatic_Overlord

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Also I would recommend using eclipse as you IDE because you can install a android plugin for it which gives you everything you could possibly need including the emulator. Also the android site does examples using the eclipse IDE so it would be easiest to follow along.

#20 bloodchains

bloodchains

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Also I would recommend using eclipse as you IDE because you can install a android plugin for it which gives you everything you could possibly need including the emulator. Also the android site does examples using the eclipse IDE so it would be easiest to follow along.

How about Netbeans?

#21 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would very strongly recommend Intellij idea as your IDE, its faster and better than eclipse and Android support is built-in, not just a plug-in so, < Add new android activity > is part of the menu :D , and no further installations required.

Take a look on the feature list :

IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is the open source version of IntelliJ IDEA, a premier IDE for Java, Groovy and other programming languages.
  • Google Android development including latest SDK support.
  • Intelligent code editor understanding your code, with refactorings, code inspections, intention actions, easy navigation and full Java 7 support.
  • JUnit and TestNG integration and a convenient test runner UI.
  • Maven, Gradle and Ant-based project setup and building.
  • Comprehensive Groovy programming language support plus plugins for Scala and Clojure.
  • Unified UI and experience for most popular version control systems: Subversion, Git/GitHub, Mercurial and CVS. Visual merge, diff and changelists.
  • Powerful XML editor with XML-Java interoperability.
  • The Swing UI designer for developing Java desktop applications.

I promise you will use eclipse no more once you get used to intellij ;) , so since you gonna like it don't forget to like this comment too, ;)

#22 enigmatic_Overlord

enigmatic_Overlord

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

How about Netbeans?

I wouldnt really recommend netBeans, as to black rabbits post I have never used intelli idea but from what he is saying about it and from what I have seen on there site it looks like a powerful IDE and definitely worth a try.

#23 BarryLeFreak

BarryLeFreak

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

To put my two cents worth in, if you have an android phone or tablet you can get IDE's on your device which allows you to program and test on the go.

#24 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Barry, welcome on board !

To put my two cents worth in, if you have an android phone or tablet you can get IDE's on your device which allows you to program and test on the go.

I have a little objection and a question, but first, a little intro
I am aware you can install script layer on an android device and then code and run the programs there.

Lets take tablets aside, and leave on the table android phones only ... tell me my friend, if you could install and IDE in a normal screen phone ( i will not even bother to check if there is any working on there, tablets sure, but phones ... , cause as far as i know you use a regular text editor and the java command to build ) , so, lets imagine you have a samsumg galaxy Europe phone, with regular screen of 320 x 432 (if memory doesn't fail, which happens a lot here :P ) , even if we take for granted you installed an IDE, lets say eclipse there, lets imagine phones memory does not collapse by IDE's requirements, and lets take another step further and think the IDE takes advantage of the full screen ( 4 times the hardware display size by logical switching ) , and lets add more to it and think that IDE makes great effort to fit aaaaall its menues, icons, views, trees, etc for you to be able to actually see in such minimal screen what is sometimes difficult even to make fit in a big pc screen,
and lets keep being optimist and say you got finger nails sharped so thin as a guitar player so you can actually be accurate touching the appropriate menus and items on that tiny screen,
and lets thing you are a zen master which does not bother the time it would take to actually type a code sentence in either a soft keyboard or in that mini hardware keyboards which happens to come without most of the important symbols for coding as "{" and "}" by example.

lets thing you overcame all those martian business and just adapted yourself to be a cellphone coder, i have 3 questions for you :

1. Did you code anything as complicated as coding in that phone is ?
2. Did you got mad and are you posting to this forum by SMS from the Asylum where you managed to slip your phone into your straight jacket, so you are not just coding as we said, but also in blind since you cant actually see your phone trough the straight jacket ?
3. if 2 is yes don't bother keep reading :P, but did you think than in an android device you have not the emulator, hence you can only test for your hardware ?

I mean ... you will understand better what comes next if you read the android's hardware tutorial ;)

thing is, coding Android is not coding for your device, either phone or tablet, but coding for the whole universe of android's devices, whose hardware varies scandalously from price to price, brand to brand and year to year, coding in a determined phone will asure you your app works in any other phone which same hardware as your, which with best of luck would be 10% or the big share :D
i advice strongly to code and test in a pc, since with the emulator allows you to perform testing on all the devices gamma, of course i bring back what i said first, lets put tablets aside, since i think you can see quite decently an adapted IDE on a tablet ( but you will regret the lack of shortcuts as <Ctrl><something> which are the cream of the IDEs )
and of course, all tablets are quite similar in hardware so if you want to program for tablets you probably can do it on a tablet, always keeping in mind that coding without a keyboard sucks and tablet's memory and processor will not be as helpful as a pc's.

Any thoughts guys ? i would be glad to hear since i am learning too. no way to stop learning when you get into this business is it ?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download