Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Html5 - rome

html5

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hey all... I know this isn't the HTML5 forum (before you tell me :P)... but it's more of a recreational website that I was shown, not too much about coding. From what I was told, and from what it looks like, the whole project was made in HTML5, as well as using WebGL. I was actually shown this website by a software engineer, of nearly 20+ years, who currently programs medical equipment for a living. I am an administrator on his website, and I talk to him often. I'll give you a little background knowledge as well, but feel free to skip to the URL if you'd like. :)

{Read Before Skipping To URL}
The only downside to this, is that you need a powerful graphics card, and Google Chrome - as the project was partnered up with Google. As you can find at the bottom "Made with friends from Google", or something along the lines of that. You can move your mouse up and down, move it from left to right, and click to interact and move the camera view.

{{Done Rambling}} :P

URL: Three Dreams of Black - ROME

Sorry for the big post about this, but it really is incredible to see what can be done.

Thanks,
-Zizz
-Zizz

#2 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

That is impressive.

#3 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yeah. I loved it when I first saw it. It was in my Computer Science class where the computers (unlike my laptop) can handle all those graphics.

-Zizz
-Zizz

#4 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I tried moving the mouse around, but nothing happened. Then I saw the 'Enter' button, so I clicked it and tried the mouse clicking and dragging again, but it didn't work then either.

I have an HP G60-535DX computer.
Regards,
RR

#5 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Weird, works fine for me... not sure about that then.

-Zizz
-Zizz

#6 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Okay, I just tried again, except this time I waited longer, to see if it would work if I wait a little more; it did work this time, though it lagged a little at first.

But yeah, it's pretty cool; too bad it isn't cross-browser (yet).

I tried doing some things with HTML5 canvas before this, rendering polygons in 3D, using a 2D rendering environment; it mostly is good, except that it takes a very long time to sort all the polygons in Z order, and also it takes a bit of time (~15-20 ms/mesh ? somewhere around there) to actually draw all the polygons.

Back to the Rome thing, I'm not sure that Rome has buffalos, etc., running around, but it's cool that when you get close to one of those big floating rocks, you can actually pass through whatever there "to the other world."
Regards,
RR

#7 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, cross-browser would be pretty awesome. I'm sure eventually, at some point it will be.

Yeah, not sure about Rome having buffaloes either. :P But yeah, that was one of my favorite "scenes" (for lack of a better word). Especially when you're flying with the birds. YES. :P

-Zizz
-Zizz

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download