Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

64 or 32

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 irancplusplus

irancplusplus

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, C#

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hi
which architecture is recommended for Windows 7: 32bit or 64Bit?
.exe files and updates are greater in size in 64bit!!

I wrote t.me/cplusplus/203

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

If bandwidth is an issue, then the odd application or update may be slightly larger. We are moving on more than ever to 64-bit computing, it provides some slight but necessary improvements in how the microprocessor handles operations on large numbers. That's why we moved from the 8 and 16 bit microprocessors of the past.

If you perform day to day computing you may not ever need to use 64 bit versions of things. If you have more than three or four gigabytes of RAM however a 64-bit OS will be required to handle the addressing.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 irancplusplus

irancplusplus

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I use win 7, 32 bit with 2.5 GB Ram. I have a few Chinese drivers. I'm not if I can find suitable 64 bit drivers.
sometimes Windows Live MovieMaker and Blender crash. I think using 64Bit version may fix these problems & some programs may run faster.
I think Microsoft may have better support for 64Bit architecture.
I'm not sure which architecture is better for me.

for Kubuntu I know 32bit is recommended! :confused:

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

64-bit has a few advantages, as far as addressable memory and drive space. Many applications are still distributed as 32-bit, but as time goes on that will change. 32-bit cannot run 64-bit apps.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

64 bit is for pc with 4GB ram or 4 core cpu in my case i got 8GB ram and 8 core cpu on my laptop thats why i must use 64 bit :P

#6 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

You don't have to use 64-bit just because you have 8 GB RAM; if you run 32-bit, you'll only be able to use, what, 4 GB? of it? Maybe a little less, because of the buses, but I don't know about that for sure. But if you want to employ the full 8 GB of memory that you have, then yes, you would want to use 64-bit.

#7 irancplusplus

irancplusplus

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

in my experience, applications crash less in win 7 64bit. eg Blender or Live MovieMaker

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

And my hardware gets better rating in Windows Experience Index (I think for aero graphics) when I install 64 bit version.

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Something I encountered when dealing with a 64 bit computer: some software is written strictly for 32 bit. In certain scenarios, such as running classic ASP under IIS, connecting to a database via ODBC, strange things can happen. IIS is 64 bit. ASP runs in 32 bit mode. To access the ODBC connection, you MUST have the connection created in both the 32bit and 64bit ODBC with the same name, because IIS is responsible for managing the connection (64bit), but ASP only recognizes 32bit ODBC connections.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi which architecture is recommended for Windows 7: 32bit or 64Bit?

There is no recommended architecture, if your preference is only to run Windows 7. If you have 64bit processor, then I will strongly recommend 64bit, as long as you have memory at least 2GB. If you have memory more than 3GB, then you have to use Windows 7 64bit. So if your favorite applications are hungry for memory and they support 64bit, then 64bit is the only way to go.

.exe files and updates are greater in size in 64bit!!

Of course. One of the causes is that in 64bit application you have to store pointers in 64bit (doubling pointer in 32bit). Many values will be 64bits aligned to make it more efficient when working with 64bits registers.

I use win 7, 32 bit with 2.5 GB Ram. I have a few Chinese drivers. I'm not if I can find suitable 64 bit drivers. sometimes Windows Live MovieMaker and Blender crash. I think using 64Bit version may fix these problems & some programs may run faster. I think Microsoft may have better support for 64Bit architecture. I'm not sure which architecture is better for me. for Kubuntu I know 32bit is recommended! :confused:

Compared to XP 64 bit, support to 64bit Drivers in 7 is really really great. Maybe you just need to add more time to hunt for the driver, or just contact your vendor for 64bit drivers.

#10 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I would recommend 64bit. I have raan on it for about half a year and have not had any issues (short of some Java programs running on Java x32, this is fine but if they need lots of memory they run out to quickly).
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#11 Jarryd

Jarryd

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

The main differences between the 32-bit versions of Windows and the 64-bit versions of Windows relate to memory accessibility, memory management, and enhanced security features.

One of the greatest advantages of using a 64-bit version of Windows is the ability to access physical memory (RAM) that is above the 4-gigabyte (GB) range. This physical memory is not addressable by 32-bit versions of Windows.

It will also Increase the program performance for programs that are written to take advantage of a 64-bit operating system.

(A 64-bit register can store 264 = 18446744073709551616 different values, a number in excess of 18 quintillion. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 264 bytes of byte-addressable memory.) 64-bit Operating Systems are basically the future.

#12 bizworldusa

bizworldusa

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Programming Language:C
  • Learning:C

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

64-bit has a few advantages, as far as addressable memory and drive space. I recommended you for windows7 64-bit is the preferable and best one.........

Thank you
Bizworldusa

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download