Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Booting From USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 deleteMyAccount

deleteMyAccount

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

Can somebody help me boot my computer from a USB drive? I'm using Yumi to create a boot drive with Backtrack 5 on it. I also converted the whole thing to NTFS. I cant get it to show up once i'm at my boot menu though and people keep telling me to change the boot options in BIOS but i'm not sure what that means. I'm running Windows 7 - anybody have any suggestions?

#2 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

I think what they mean is enter the boot menu when you start your computer. In IBM, there's usually a startup message that says 'To interrupt normal startup, press Enter' or something like that. I think it's the escape key, or something, for HP computers. It's probably F11 or so for Dell. Anyway, whatever it is, try pressing that key, and see what options you get within that (console-based) startup menu screen.

#3 deleteMyAccount

deleteMyAccount

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Well once I'm at the boot menu I only have my windows 7 OS as a start up option. They keep telling me I need to edit my BIOS in order for my machine to recognize the USB as a bootable device. I'm running a Samsung something laptop.

#4 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

I sort of lost the memory (RAM) chip, so I can't boot that computer to test that stuff. I don't want to reboot the laptop I'm typing on right now, either.

If I were you, I'd probably explore around those BIOS menus, but still, if anyone else can help you, that would be great; otherwise, I might be able to help you if/when I find that memory chip.

#5 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

TO choose what device to boot from you have to press f10...
And when I say press, I mean from the time you press the power button, press again, and again and again and again as fast as you can the f10 button
Until you have a option menu, or a windows start.

... sometime it's not f10, if f10 don't work, try f8, or I once saw f2

#6 deleteMyAccount

deleteMyAccount

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Well

f5 = Boot Manager
f2 = Utility Set up which has priority options in it that I messed up earlier but fixed :D
f10 = Edit Boot Options = CMD Prompt but I wouldn't know what to type in there to actually run my flashdrive. BRB Googling: It looks DOS style but google is coming up with nothing.

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

Something important to be aware of in all of this: older computers don't support boot from USB. If it runs Windows 7, I would think it can boot from USB, but you never know.

Your goal is to get to a screen similar to one of these: bios - Google Search

Is there a reason you would use NTFS with a Linux multi-boot?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 deleteMyAccount

deleteMyAccount

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm running a 2010 Samsung Laptop so I hope it supports booting from USB xD

And I'm pretty sure I Know how to get to the BIOS I just don't know what to do when I get there. I tried changing boot priority and making USB higher, but that just messed up my PC so I had to change it back. :/

Some of the tutorials I've read said I needed to convert my USB from FAT32 to NTFS, am I not supposed to do this :S ?

#9 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

I never tried making a bootable flash drive before, so I wouldn't know, but from what I read, flash drives are supposed to have FAT32. I am planning on writing a utility, sometime soon, that would change a flash drive's boot program, but I don't have time, yet, to work on that.

But you are sure that the boot sector you're working with ends with the 0xAA55 boot signature, right?

#10 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Most computers should plug 'n play with a bootable USB if they don't normally you need to find the boot order. It varies but normally it will be something like:
CD/DVD ROM -> HD1 -> HD2
Or just SATA ports or something, then you need to Google your computers model and find all the boot options and look for the USB port options.
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#11 isuru

isuru

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

I use UNetbootin UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads because it is really easy, all you need to do is download Backtrack ISO and browse it and give your USB drive. and change bios settings to boot in USB. That's it. Try it and see!
Lost!

#12 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

I often booting from Live CD as well as USB to try and install Linux distro.

We could also use 'liveusb-creator' from Fedora to create Live USB.

On my laptop (2010), I must enter F2 and choose boot from USB Generic.
And I am sure you also can boot from USB on your laptop.

My older laptop (about 2006/2007) can't boot from USB.
Yeah, like WP said that older computers don't support boot from USB.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download