Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How do I earn revenue from my game site?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chax

chax

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Fortran, VBScript

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

I am creating an on-line video gaming site. I'm planning to monetize the same without having to show too much of ADs. I have been playing some on-line games on some websites like kadokado.com and dungeons-treasures.com. These site haven't put up ADs yet they accrue quite a lot of revenue as is seems. These sites seem to pay back the players too. Now how do they get so much of revenue?
Size does matter for science and its laws changes accordingly.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ultimately, there are three ways to monetize a site:
1) Advertising
2) Donations
3) Get users to give you money (micro-transactions, etc).

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 CommittedC0der

CommittedC0der

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Well most sites work like this(Kongregate example). Players upload a game and gets %40 of the game ad revenue and the site keeps %60. This doesn't mean you have to have 5,000 ads a page, but more is better. :P So now the developer makes money from his game and uploads more games, intern you make even more because you get %60 revenue from every game that's uploaded to your site.

You can also create currency that can be bought with $ that allows game upgrades/unlock-able content.

Hope that helps ~ Committed.
There IS a war going on for your mind.
Nothing of eternal significance happens besides prayer.

#4 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

Donations can be somewhat profitable, generally enough to keep the site online and pay for expenses + some left over for profit. But it depends on your audience, people making things aimed at programmers generally get more donations as programmers and people who use computers a lot will normally get more donations as they are the type of people who have 'online money'.

Alternatively you can make money using in game adverts, for example in MW II I wouldn't be surprised if Mc Donalds had paid to have their store as the objective.
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#5 JamesDonovan

JamesDonovan

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:Java, C++, C#, PHP, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, VBScript

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Advertisment can be a better idea rather then choosing other difficult techniques. I would suggest you to go for this.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download