Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

HTML5?

HTML5 HTML html5

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#13 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

Of course you can do an html5 page without any javascript. Html is html and javascript is javascript, even if you upgrade version of it.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#14 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Of course you can do an html5 page without any javascript. Html is html and javascript is javascript, even if you upgrade version of it.

Then what about - from this page - this?:

Some rules for HTML5 were established:

• New features should be based on HTML, CSS, DOM, and JavaScript
  • Reduce the need for external plugins (like Flash)
  • Better error handling
  • More markup to replace scripting
  • HTML5 should be device independent
  • The development process should be visible to the public

While it may be true that you can go without JavaScript in producing HTML5, some things - such as the canvas element - are based on JavaScript, so it is a good idea to learn it.

#15 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

It provides some nice structure for web pages, however I would look at the canvas element if anything. HTML5 video, and JS having super powers over it, are at least worthy to look at for future implementation. It is supported by most browsers.

The html5 video's not gonna be used if W3C doesn't set a standard for the type of video. As it currently is different browser support different types.
For example: chrome plays .mp4, IE plays .mov, firefox plays .mpg
(just guessing extensions here)

So if you'd want to play a video, you need each video multiple times on your server and depending on which browser requests it return the correct format.
Noone wants to go trough this amount of trouble as well as quadrupling the required storage for videos compared to showing a video with flash imo.

#16 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Then what about - from this page - this?:

While it may be true that you can go without JavaScript in producing HTML5, some things - such as the canvas element - are based on JavaScript, so it is a good idea to learn it.

I can't say it's a bad thing to learn JavaScript, absolutely not. It is a good thing! But what really they say in the quoted text is that features shall base on those parts, they open possibilities to have this parts work together, even if all shall be independent. Yes, canvas is a function which is tightly connected to javascript, but the rest isn't. They even move functionality from using javascript to html, like some field validation. But the web is still a three layer setup with server-side, browser and on top on that browser-scripting.

Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#17 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

The html5 video's not gonna be used if W3C doesn't set a standard for the type of video. As it currently is different browser support different types.
For example: chrome plays .mp4, IE plays .mov, firefox plays .mpg
(just guessing extensions here)

So if you'd want to play a video, you need each video multiple times on your server and depending on which browser requests it return the correct format.
Noone wants to go trough this amount of trouble as well as quadrupling the required storage for videos compared to showing a video with flash imo.

Perhaps, on-the-fly video conversion would fix the storage size problem?

#18 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

That's massive cpu usage

#19 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

At least less storage space :D; well, you could still use cache and such, that you can use just a little more storage space to cache the last few files played and/or the most common videos played.

#20 marases

marases

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Assembly
  • Learning:Java

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hi, yeah not sure. I personally would still stick to XHTML as it is supported by most browsers even mobile. But don't not learn it, practice on your local PC, so when it does it the market you'll be ready.

#21 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, I'm currently learning both CSS3 and HTML5 in my Computer Science class, just for the fact of when it is compatible, I'll know it.
-Zizz

#22 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Why learn yesterdays technologies today, when you can learn the ones for tomorrow?
xhtml and html4 isn't bad knowledge, but I would start learning html5 and css3 today, and then learn the differences to html4 and xhtml so I can make a page compatible for both html4 and html5, how to fix things in html4 that is already built in in html5 etc. I mean, you want to have your new site be able to use the good things in html5, but with a fallback in case of old browsers.

#23 Zizzy

Zizzy

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, you make good point Orjan. I am currently learning HTML5 and CSS3, which is probably the best choice to do at this point in time. To ensure I know the language for when it does become a standard for web browsers. :)

-Zizz
-Zizz

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download