Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

is learning the .net framework essential for desktop development today?

delphi .net framework

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garybecks

garybecks

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I am totally new to programming and am on the fence about which language to learn right now. I did a few courses learning some basic programming using python and I love the language but chose not to continue with it because it seems like it's just not a good choice for desktop development with the lack of any good RAD IDE's for creating GUIs.

I am really interested in Delphi as I have some books on the language and a friend who recommended I learn it. However, it seems like these days if you plan to do any programming for windows desktop apps not using/learning the .net framework is a pretty bad choice.

I'm looking for advise from experienced programs about this. What is your opinion? I mean, does a guy basically HAVE to learn the .net framework in this day and age and time to ensure he isn't "left behind" for lack of a better word? I like Delphi and really would like to learn it but if using it and learning the windows api as opposed to using something like VB.net and learning the .net framework would be counter productive then I really don't want to waste my time even though it seems like the more comfortable approach right now.

On a side note, for what it's worth my experience with Microsoft products and Visual Studio has been rather odd to say the least so far. Can't even get the trial installed as the installer just freezes on me (not good) and the support was pretty useless when looking for help.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks..

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

The company I work for uses Delphi exclusively for building our desktop apps, which we sell. With that said, it's not a "hot" language.

Other options include .NET, various C++ GUI libraries, python+wxPython, Java, and many, many others.

With all that said, .NET is a nice library for Windows development.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 garybecks

garybecks

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do understand that Delphi is not as popular as some of the other languages mentioned. I should have mentioned that I am not looking for any development jobs so popularity of the language is not important.

What I am most interested in knowing is whether or not there is any reason(s) that I should skip learning a language the depends on the windows api in favor of a .net language. As in if Win32 will be replaced by .Net, ease of use/learning for a beginner, etc..

Thanks.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'd go for whichever you like. To be honest, .NET and Delphi are VERY similar, so transitioning from one to the other wouldn't be too hard.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 garybecks

garybecks

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. Actually just what Ineeded to hear.:)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download