Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to edit parts of a writable PDF using PHP?

pdf

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hello,

Each year, my client is forced by law (stupid québec) to get a pdf from the governement website, and fill it (a pdf that you can write in it), print it, keep a copie, and send it to our governement.
And he has to do this for each of his client (maybe 600-700) so it take a lot of time. And for each client, he has to get a new pdf from the website since they are all the same exept the barcode at the bottom.

Since I have all the data the governement ask inside a database, I was thinking of doing something that could do it for them.
I already have a script that can download a new pdf for each client, but I don't know how to write inside a writable pdf in PHP.

Anyone has already did something like that?

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

I believe this page might help you. Using HTML forms to fill in PDF fields with PHP and FDF I just googled on "fill in pdf form with php" and got a bunch of hits...

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thx for the quick answer.
But sadly this will not help me.
The code is for creating a new pdf.
I want to modify some part of a existing pdf, as I would do normally with a writable pdf.

#4 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I guess you could take all other info in the original pdf file and add the form content into a new file?

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#5 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9!

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Assembly, Fortran, Bash, Others

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Although it seems valid, this goes in to a bit of a vague area of PHP's scope.

If you can afford the time to implement a Zend framework module, they have one that updates every so often - it should be able to modify existing PDF documents:
Zend_Pdf tutorial

If memory serves me, you should be able to search for the item you wish to replace and insert another, you will have to dig around the documentation.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#6 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

I did read about the pdf module of zend framework.
But is it possible to use it without using the zend framework?

#7 KtueethallLee

KtueethallLee

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Actually, we can refer to a pdf document compatible barcode library to create, save and print barcode on pdf document, just like some excel barcode add-in and Word barcode add-on.

#8 seandale

seandale

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Actually, we can refer to a pdf document compatible barcode library to create, save and print barcode on pdf document, just like some excel barcode add-in and Word barcode add-on.

Does anyone know of a good method for editing PDFs in PHP? Preferably open-source/zero-license cost methods. :)

I am thinking along the lines of opening a PDF file, replacing text in the PDF and then writing out the modified version of the PDF?

I have programmatically created PDF files in the past using FPDF, but found it a little unwieldy at times.

#9 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

I second seandale. You should take a look at FPDF.

#10 seandale

seandale

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

I second seandale. You should take a look at FPDF.

Thanks,I will take a look at it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pdf

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download