Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thesis on biometric

authentication

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mutago

mutago

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Good day everyone, am writing thesis on fingerprint biometrics.
i need to know
1. once the fingerprint is captured from the biometric sensor, what format does it stores the image eg .gif,.jpeg etc
2. Does the biometric sensor reads the entire image of a fingerprint or does it picture some points that will identify a unique user.
3. take for instance i used fingerprint scanner developed by cisco to capture users fingerprint and uploads it to the database and later during
login authentication i used fingerprint scanner developed by Microsoft, wont the fingerprint scan reading be different.
4. how do i upload fingerprint to database. is it the way we upload image.
5. is fingerprint image affected by size of the image.
thanks

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

The answer to most of these will depend on the biometric sensor. With that said, jpg is going to be unlikely, since it's a lossy format.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 mutago

mutago

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

please this answer is not clear, can you emphasize more on the workability
thanks

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

i need to know whether fingerprint is uploaded to database the way image is being uploaded to database. if yes, what format is it save prior to database uploads.
thanks

#4 lethalwire

lethalwire

while(false){ ... }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

Lossy Format -

In information technology, "lossy" compression is a data encoding method that compresses data by discarding (losing) some of it.

JPG would not be feasible for this reason.

I would assume that the data returned by the sensor depends on the sensor. Then the data would need to be saved a certain way, not necessarily as an image file. To be uploaded, the finger print data would surely need to be encrypted or scrambled or something before it is uploaded.

#5 mutago

mutago

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

what kind of encryption, okay even if i used advanced encryption standard (AES) for the fingerprint encryption. cant i still store
the fingerprint as an image after the encryption. can you also give me an example of fingerprint image format you know, lets keep the biometric sensor apart now.

thanks

#6 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:27 AM

I assume a database management system, many are available and if they could be passworded and encrypted (as to not be modifiable) then that would be a good starting point.

For image compression, actually a neat one (used by various government institutions) is a Wavelet/Scalar Quantization

Any compression can be used, however png is often very large (if you were to need to search hundreds of thousands of fingerprints to match one, i.e. 500,000 images * 500,000 bytes per image = roughly 250 gigabytes) and jpg contains too many artifacts when compressed further. You'd have to find an ideal compression method depending on your task.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:34 AM

Ultimately, you haven't told us what fingerprint scanner you're using, what fingerprint scanner software you're using, etc. That makes it REALLY hard to answer any of your questions. A fingerprint scanner could be anything from a specialized camera that highlights certain aspects of the image it returns, to an integrated piece of hardware with its own storage and various other properties.

Why do you assume that all fingerprint scanners work the same way?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: authentication

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download