Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

i got the very c++ basics syntax , how sould i continue learning?

extract syntax

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 masky007

masky007

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

I have been reading a book and helped me allot!
So far i have covered:

-Types, Variables, and Standard I/O
-If Statements, branching and Looping Statements
-For Loops, Strings, and Arrays
-The Standard Template Library (vectors, iterators, algorithms etc..)
-Functions
-References
-Pointers
-Classes
-Advanced Classes and Dynamic Memory
-Inheritance and Polymorphism

I feel very comfortable with the above topics except sometimes i feel lost for a second when the word comes to pointers but i am getting much better at it- (repetition is the mother of learning :P)
And now as i finished the book i am not sure where to continue after this.

First of all i should say that i would like my feature project to be "poker bot"
that means.
Extracting data from other programs
bit of more advanced AI to know how to play
Introduction to c++ visual programming (the interface)
databases to store the played hands, read databases etc..
(who knows what else.. i guess dll injections as well).
note: i am not talking about a game that would play as a computer AI against a player.. but instead a bot that would attach lets say i.e. to PokerStars or some other commercial application (or maybe Zynga facebook poker) and would extract the needed information as:
-hands played, players at the table, individual information as preflop raise or postflop etc.. and all these would be stored in a database(i am not familiar with databases yet) which later on these information will be used to make the AI poker bot play accordingly at given specific moments.. so the true question lies in "how can i access and retrieve information from already existing program".As well i feel that there will be a need where i will be needed to make the automated move of the cursor of the mouse (the poker bot playing) but i have no kind of any visual programming so far (only console applications :( )
I would like to know if there is such a book(s) that would prepare me for these kind of stuff? I have searched the net for these things but it's just so hard for me to make a choice without some bit of advice :) and to be honest i am not even sure what for too look exactly.

Thank you.
ico

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:45 AM

Are you familiar with the boost library? Which library do you plan to use for graphics (I'm assuming you mean Visual Studio)? What do you know about algorithms, data structures, refactoring, C++ style, Object-Oriented Design, etc, etc, etc?

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you probably have just the basics, and probably very limited knowledge of the Standard Template Library. That alone is a several hundred page book (or two). I think mine is close to 800 pages.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 masky007

masky007

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:13 AM

I hate to hear it as much as you hate to say it but its true :) .. yes i got the basics only and very limited knowledge of the STL (i just poked around all the functions it has and that's all) beside the couple used in that chapter of the book.
I never used boost library earlier. Algorithms? Not much either just from the chapter when i learned for vectors and later i used sorting algorithm from the STL. Data structures , i have no idea what's that. Neither refactoring c++ style. And object-Oriented Design (i know what object oriented programming is where you use classes and invoke objects instead the usual procedural programming.) but never heard of OOD :$
I have no idea which library to use for graphics ( i have no previous visual programming experience at all) and yes i use the microsofts visual studio 2010... visual c++ but all i have done is 32 console applications.
programs i have made were:
Tic Tac Toe
Black Jack
(couple of my small custom projects and that would be all)
and stuff like that from the book.

The book i was learning from is "Michael Dawson - Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Third Edition - 2010", and it's about 380 pages in 10 chapters.

It seems i have much ahead of me to consume. Please give me some guideline if you can. (just to let ya know i am self learning only from books...)

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:31 AM

If you're up for some meat, two books I recommend are:
Amazon.com: C++ Programming Language, The (3rd Edition) (9780201889543): Bjarne Stroustrup: Books
and
http://www.amazon.co...15319434&sr=1-1

If you want to learn more about good programming practices in C++:
Amazon.com: Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd Edition) (9780321334879): Scott Meyers: Books

#5 masky007

masky007

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

C++ Programming Language, The (3rd Edition) (9780201889543): Bjarne Stroustrup i think has allot from which i covered already but nevertheless its much more detailed from the one i was reading! Though i am going to take your advice and gonna start over again.. it will help me concrete everything i learned so far and fill in some gaps as well.

After that i assume i will go for the The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference (2nd Edition), ant later on the Scott Meyers effective c++.

Thanks for the advice Sir. I am eager to start learning asap :)
Though i am curious after i go over the first two books.. (what actual level in programming i would have? .. i mean generally) (what should be able to do) - yeah i know redundant question, just i want to know "how much" i am still missing for some serious up to date programming :D

THANKS ALLOT!

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

After you get through the first two books, you'll have a solid understanding of the power of C++. The third will do a lot to help you avoid common mistakes, and give you a better idea of where you can go next.

You will still need to learn additional libraries to be able to do work with GUIs, networking, etc, but they'll be a lot easier to make sense of, and you'll be in a much better position to decide which ones have a style that appeals to you.

#7 masky007

masky007

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for everything..
I am looking for the rep button..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: extract, syntax

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download