Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Licences

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

Hello,

I have a project that I've been working on it for the last 4years or so.
I would love to share it on open source, but I just don't want anyone to find it and decided to get copyright on it, and so I won't be able to use it anymore.
I was thinking about a GNU general public licence, open to everyone, anyone can use it, or modify it.
But I have no idea how to get my project a licences... do I simply write in each class that this class is protected by the GNU general licence, or I have to subscribe somewhere?

And a other question, I remember their a licence that is free for anyone to use, but if they modify it and made it better they have to share it back... anyone know what licence I'm talking about?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'd check how some of the larger projects out there do it. OpenArena is covered by GPL, as I recall. I think SQuirreL SQL Client is, too.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

And a other question, I remember their a licence that is free for anyone to use, but if they modify it and made it better they have to share it back... anyone know what licence I'm talking about?

The license you are referring to is the GPL. It protects your code by requiring any derivative works also to be released under the GPL. Check out the license text here:
The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

You do not need to subscribe anywhere to release your code under any particular open source license. Simply provide a copy of the license with your source (and have your binary produce a copy of it if you distribute your code in binary form), and also indicate in the comments of all your source files your copyright notice and which license the code is released under, along with a link to where someone can find your license.

For a more detailed set of instructions for releasing under GPL, check out this link:
How to use GNU licenses for your own software - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Remember, a user can still fork your application and let uses download it off their own site (with proper attribution and licensing) with their own code inside along with yours.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

That I don't really care, it's more the fact that sometime I use this framework in some contracts, and I don't want any client telling me that I can't use it anymore
And well, if someone like this framework I will be happy to share with it (once the licence will be added)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download