Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Need to somehow cancel print to printer and print to pdf

pdf

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zgc7009

zgc7009

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

So before anyone starts jumping down my throat about how this is advanced, or asked before, or in the wrong section... I am fairly new to programming and Unix, C, and C++ is all I have really ever messed with. I had an idea for a program in which I need the screen that is being printed from the actual printer hardware, to print to a pdf and then save to a certain folder. I honestly don't even know where to start. I am scared that it is going to get into drivers, which I know can be crazy tricky, but I was just hoping there was an easy way to cancel the hard copy print and send it to a pdf.

Very simply, if I have a program open and tell that program to print a copy of the screen, I want it to print a pdf file instead. Crossing my fingers you guys can help. Also I am not asking for you to write the code for me, I know that I haven't given you anything to start with... I just know some of you programming gurus could get me pointed in the write direction. Also, I would like for it to work with Windows and need it to work for various ports (USB as well as Parallel).

Thank you so much everyone, and if it can't be done fairly simply let me know too. Programmers work hard to get good at what they do, I know some things are out of my spectrum.

Edited by zgc7009, 13 August 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

linux pdf virtual printer at DuckDuckGo

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 zgc7009

zgc7009

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hey WingedPanther and thanks for the link. That is helpful. It is for Linux though, and I was really hoping to learn how to program it myself. Is that even a possibility at the n00b level? :P

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Also, I have Virtual PDF Printer on my computer already, which I use when I need to. Honestly, I just like programming and it was something I was interested in. I wanted to see what it would take to make a program that acted similarly, and hopefully in the end I will be able to link it to some sort of database. Like I say I am newer at this (programmed simple input output stuff in my 100 level classes so far that's about it). All help is appreciated

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Creating a PDF file involves file compression, and creating a very specific file format. You can find the file format easily enough, but creating it manually is a tedious process. Here's a few links of interest: pdf file format at DuckDuckGo

#5 zgc7009

zgc7009

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yikes, I finally got a chance to look at some sample code similar to what I am trying to do. Creating the PDF is fairly in depth, at least for me. I am going to look at possibly just simple plain text. I will try to get some startup code posted soon to see how quickly you guys can correct my rookie mistakes :)

Thanks again for the help *bow*

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

I've attempted to read the standard for .xls files. It's a nightmare. PDF files rock, but they're not trivial to work with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pdf

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download