Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

New Programmer - Question about a College Course...

pseudocode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maxxamo

Maxxamo

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Greetings all,

I've finally decided to answer the birdy on my shoulder who always tells me to learn to program. As a result, I've been trying to find a jump off point in which to start learning from the ground up. I have one of two courses I can enrol in.

The first one is a programming logic / problem solving course that focuses on pseudocode, object oriented concepts, data structures, controls, etc etc. The other is an intro to C#. I'm not sure which would be more beneficial to me right now, given I want to become proficient in C#.

Could someone give a case for either or?

Cheers!

#2 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Both could be good to have, but if I had to choose for my self, I would go with programming logic.
Since you are just starting, you can't be sure that c# is that you want... trust me, I wanted to work in Php, than java, c#, c++, asp.net c#, java again, and now I returned to PHP

With the programming logic class you will learn some good base that can apply to any language

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

I taught at a college that taught a programming logic course first. The huge advantage of it is you learn the detailed problem solving skills that are common across almost all languages before you start dealing with the annoyances of syntax. If taught well, it will teach you a lot of good habits that are easy to avoid, too :).

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pseudocode

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download