Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Consequences (Legal action)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 membranous

membranous

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hmmm.... i was wondering, if i do a site base on movies. This site will provide links of movies which i uploaded. does it go against any copyright law or any other law? Wad are the action to be taken against me if i was caught? and wad can i do to prevent this issue without changing the main idea of my site any with less budget?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

It depends somewhat on where you live, but violation of copyright is very likely to get you in trouble. Ranges from fines to jail time.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Jerryn

Jerryn

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

It is illegal to upload movies to filehosts (I assume you mean that) but indexing links on your site is not illegal. Just host it in Hong Kong or something where the copyright laws aren't so strict. Then the worst that can happen is that copyright owners will contact you to take down the links on your website. I'd suggest not ignoring them but meh, it's pretty hard to do anything against a indexing site anyway. At least saves you from troubles though.

Also be sure to put a disclaimer that states that all the files posted on your website are indexed from another filehosts. This way the copyright owners will most likely contact the filehosts for take-down messages instead.

#4 membranous

membranous

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

It is illegal to upload movies to filehosts (I assume you mean that) but indexing links on your site is not illegal. Just host it in Hong Kong or something where the copyright laws aren't so strict. Then the worst that can happen is that copyright owners will contact you to take down the links on your website. I'd suggest not ignoring them but meh, it's pretty hard to do anything against a indexing site anyway. At least saves you from troubles though.

Also be sure to put a disclaimer that states that all the files posted on your website are indexed from another filehosts. This way the copyright owners will most likely contact the filehosts for take-down messages instead.

wad do you mean by indexing links on my site?

#5 Jerryn

Jerryn

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

You have to host the files you provide on filehosting websites like filesonic, rapidshare etc. Then you just provide the download link on your website. Nobody can then touch your website as you're just linking people to filehosts for downloads.

#6 GramCracker

GramCracker

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

The best place to host something like this would be denmark. My tip to you would be to keep a terms of service to keep atleast 90% of authority's out...how you would go upon doing so would need a lawyer.

#7 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

You have to host the files you provide on filehosting websites like filesonic, rapidshare etc. Then you just provide the download link on your website. Nobody can then touch your website as you're just linking people to filehosts for downloads.

Not completly true, look at some big torrent site (the bay of pirate for not naming the website), they don't host anything, but right now they are in big trouble... and even if they stop being sue (wich will probably not happen), they still had to pay thousand and thousand on lawyers.

So in my opinion... don't do it.
I know minimum security prison ain't that bad, but it's better to stay free anyway

Of course, if it's your movie (you made the movie) you can do what ever you wish with.

#8 Jerryn

Jerryn

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

Not completly true, look at some big torrent site (the bay of pirate for not naming the website), they don't host anything, but right now they are in big trouble... and even if they stop being sue (wich will probably not happen), they still had to pay thousand and thousand on lawyers.

So in my opinion... don't do it.
I know minimum security prison ain't that bad, but it's better to stay free anyway

Of course, if it's your movie (you made the movie) you can do what ever you wish with.

The website you're talking about has got into troubles because they have been real douchebags to the copyright owners. They even have a website section where they store "funny replies" that they have used. Ignoring and insulting a big company like EA Games, Ubisoft etc might not be the smartest thing to do.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download