Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Does fopen 'stream'

stream fopen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hello, I am writing a program that will at some point be moving large files, so I was wondering- does fopen 'stream' files. As in it doesn't actually load the entire file into RAM instead when it is asked to do something it then does it in chunks??

I mean what the PHP fopen does.
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

You will only take up a substantial amount of memory if you tell it to, and as such it does "stream" as you ask. For example if you allocated forty megabytes and fread forty megabytes in to the buffer only then will it need to hold that much for available use.

If you were to use a loop, and fread on a smaller buffer, say four megabytes, it would only use what it needs to store at one time. i.e.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#define FSIZE (1024*1024*4) //four megabyte buffer

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  FILE* from = fopen("infile", "rb");
  FILE* to   = fopen("outfi;e", "wb");
  char* buffer = malloc(FSIZE);

size_t in_b = 0;
  size_t out_b   = 0;

if(buffer != NULL) {
    while(!feof(from)) {
      in_b  = fread(buffer, 1, FSIZE, from);
      out_b = fwrite(buffer, 1, in_b, to);
      if(in_b != out_b) {
        //total bytes read are not bytes written
      }
    }
  }
    return 0;
}

If it is very large, you may wish to write to a temporary file and verify its size, and only then move it to its proper file name.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download