Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

MS SQL Server Management Studio Acting Strangely

SQL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoktorD1313

DoktorD1313

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Well I've come to the conclusion that I either have to be doing something wrong, or my first few botched attempts at installing MS Server 2008 messed up the finished product.

While writing my SQL code in a New Query (connection established to the server of course), every once and a while it will stop recognizing my table/column/object names as existing in my database and highlight them with the red squiggly line. (As well as the same names that were previously recognized in code that had been typed before).

However, most of the time when I execute the query it goes through and runs just fine and ignores its own warnings. Other times it will throw me errors like "multi-part identifier could not be bound." The same goes for the drop down auto complete list that appears when I begin typing the name. When this happens, only the database shows and none of the tables/columns/procedures stored.

Sometimes exiting and restarting MS SSMS fixes things, sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting from the server (running on same machine) fixes it, and other times I need to restart the laptop.

I don't think it has anything to do with my coding since I can literally copy and paste the "flawed" code, restart, then repaste it and it will work just fine.

At this point, even typing the following short line of code throws the error "Multi-part identifier could not be bound"

USE INVDATA

IF COMPLETE_RECORDS.ITM_NUM <> 0
[INDENT]BEGIN
[INDENT]PRINT 'NOPE;[/INDENT]
END[/INDENT]

Is it something I'm doing or what could be the possible issue?

#2 sam_coder

sam_coder

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

not sure if this will result in multiple confusing posts, but something funny just happened. Wrote a reply, my session was lost and I had to re-login, and now my post is gone. I think...

Anyways, trying this again.

This doesn't sound like a real big problem, aside from the fact that it will drive you nuts.

I have exactly the same problem with SSMS. You will notice that it will tell you objects arent there, even if you drag them from the treeview into your editor.

Luckily, this has no impact at all on executing the queries.

I've seen this on windows XP 32, windows vista 64 and windows 7 64. I'm not sure if there is a patch of any sort to fix it.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download